Taking a student in FDC

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
flossybeth5

Taking a student in FDC

Post by flossybeth5 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:14 am

I've been registered since February with my local DECD FDC Scheme and have recently been approached independently to offer experience to a mature student needing to complete 3 final assessments in a FDC setting and also by a high school student wanting to undertake a weeks worth of work experience in a FDC. I don't have a problem with either of these - if we want people to get qualified we need to be offering welcoming spaces in my opinion, however when I asked my co-ordinator I was told no. I was told that the mature student wouldn't be allowed to change nappies and that kind of thing (although her focus is interactions with families, CCB & tax, and an info leaflet for families), she only wants to come for 3 afternoons, and that the school student would have to be included in my numbers even though they're 16 and my numbers never exceed the 4 under school age anyway.

I think that I could suggest it meets NQS QA4 & QA6 but I just wondered if anyone else had any other opinions on allowing students/work experience students into their FDC settings.

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Re: Taking a student in FDC

Post by linsaa fdc » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:27 am

Hi,
I was once asked to do the same and my scheme didn't have a problem as long as the person had a blue card and the parents didn't have a problem with it. If your scheme doesn't want them to change nappies then i can understand that but you can reassure them she won't. With the 16 year old, yes she does have to be counted in your numbers but it won't affect your pay or your 4 under school age children because we are allowed 4 little ones and 3 school age to a total of 7 including any of your own that you might have. Every scheme has different policies, read your policy folder and see if there is anything in there. If not get the lady to have her blue card and ask your parents if they mind..... but not for nappy changing then go to your scheme and put all that to them.... it really shouldn't be a problem. The only thing is who is going to sign off on things for the ladies final assessments? I don't think we can but look into it.

Linsaa fdc :wave: