Completing Work Placement At The Centre With Your Child

Forum for all questions, issues and concerns when completing work placement within an early childhood setting.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
RosiP

Completing Work Placement At The Centre With Your Child

Post by RosiP » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:15 pm

Has anyone done work placement at the same center as your child attends?
My first placement was awesome and were so flexible with having my son there, he has slight special needs and they were happy for me to assist him while doing my other work, this helped him build confidence and not put any additional pressure on staff. Unfortunately they closed and I now have to arrange a new placement, I am finding not all canters are so understanding of special needs and the support and understanding thats needed. I felt by being there on placement I was able to support him and complete my "role" and at my first placement was actually able to help the educators there understand some different behaviors etc that they had never worked with and arranged some free training that was beneficial to all of us.

My question is do you think while looking for a new placement I should just jump in with what I need for my placement and my son's needs? we are country so most of the centers are pretty keen to get kids in and get numbers up and I know there are options for extra funding for the center to help him settle in the new setting. I feel really pushy asking for his needs to be met and then my placement. AAARRRGGGHHH I just want to work with kids and hopefully help others in similar positions to me.
I did think of maybe writing a letter setting out some of my existing skills that I could bring to the center and my drive to this course. I suppose all I really need is to find a caring Director.
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: placement question

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:03 pm

I think it is a great idea for you to enroll your son while you are doing work placement... Will your son be at the centre only until you finished your work placement or will continue after you have finished as well? The only reason why I am asking is that some centres may find it difficult to accommodate your son when you have finished your placement. Although this should not be an excuse at all because all centres need to be inclusive of all children!

When finding a work placement I think it's best to be open an honest with the director and discuss what options are available for you and your son. It may take awhile to find a centre who can help you but it will be worth it in the end, so keep on trying. Don't worry about being "pushy" because honestly I don't think you are! You are offering your services to a centre and you are also offering a new enrollment...

You are right, it all comes down to the director in the end! Some are more understanding than others...

Hoping all goes well for you,

:geek:,
L.A

justme

Re: Completing Work Placement At The Centre With Your Child

Post by justme » Sat May 04, 2013 10:24 pm

I think you may not find many centres who will accommodate students having their child at the same centre.

With no disrespect to your child with additional needs.

I have worked in centres with staff being at the same centre as their child, and it is now policy at my centre that we don't allow this. It would be the same for a student working on placement and having their child at the same centre.

I would say you have been extremely lucky to find a centre previously, however not all Directors are going to be as accommodating.

Places in childcare in my area are very limited - So this would be another factor to consider.

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Completing Work Placement At The Centre With Your Child

Post by Kaz » Sun May 05, 2013 7:57 am

Not sure how you have gone with this.
But I wld find a centre for your son first and then work on your placement, I am sure your place of study will understand you need to do this first..
I have worked at the same place my children went to. I am not studying/placement at the same place my children go to, I was asked to not pick the childs room and that was fine with me as I wanted hands on with babies and toddlers anyways lol...

GOOD LUCK with everything