20 weeks pregnant: Experiences and Symptoms

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

20 weeks pregnant: Experiences and Symptoms

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Hello There,

I’ve read quite a few pregnancy books, since finding out I am pregnant and I have to say my experiences thus far have been a little different to what I have read. There have been so many women out there who have had many different pregnancy experiences, I thought I’d share mine with you.

First and for most the throwing up - Argh… I’ve been hearing constantly about morning sickness but I have evening sickness. Through the first 7 weeks of pregnancy I had no morning sickness what so ever and then all of a sudden it hit me. Till today (this will be 11 weeks and counting) I have been throwing up consistently without fail every evening… Sometimes once, other times 2 or 3 times.. I had been told that by four months it will subside but it still hasn’t. Those nauseous remedies, I have tried don’t work for me, so I have given up, when it comes it comes, I’m dealing with it just as long as I keep myself hydrated!!

Period Like Cramps – For the past 3 weeks I have been experiencing what can only be described as period like cramps only when I am lying down. I usually lay down on either my left or right side and all of a sudden I will get a quick cramp which will only last for 2 seconds then vanishes. However, this comes and goes throughout the night. At the beginning, I was completely worried, thinking that maybe I was squashing my baby or something but after consulting my doctor she mentioned that this is typical as the uterus grows and expands and also if you spend too much time bending down, lifting heaving objects etc.

Fatigue – I’ve always felt tired throughout my pregnancy and I was hoping that after 3 months that I’s re-gain more of my energy back but so far I feel that I haven’t. I especially feel more tired in the afternoons and luckily for me I am able to take an afternoon nap, which really helps! If, I miss out on my afternoon nap by the evening I’ve had enough… I’ve taken the necessary blood test to see if I have any deficiency but everything is normal, I guess this is how my body is handling the pregnancy.

Pimples – Ok, where is my glowing radiant skin that apparently you get when you’re pregnant? It must have missed me because I am still getting pimples, especially on my forehead. I wash my face twice a day, face mask once a week, moisturize with acne cream and still they won’t disappear. LOL… I naturally have oily skin and those of us with oily skin, during pregnancy will continue with our oily skin. Still got along time to go before my baby is due, hopefully it clears up in the future…

Losing weight – Interestingly enough my weight gain has been up and down during the first 18 weeks of pregnancy. At the beginning I gained 2kg then a month later lost 1kg, gained 1kg again and this month lost 1kg. So overall in the past four months I never have put on more than 2kg. I have a baby bump and my breasts are way bigger than previously (scared to think how much more they are going to grow) but other than that I haven’t gained or noticed any weight change anywhere else on my body!

Feeling my baby kicking – Last week I felt my baby kick for the first time… It was totally unexpected and I was in disbelief. I had my hands resting on my lower tummy while I was lying down and I felt six taps against my hands, then it stopped. I didn’t notice it again. The next morning, once again I felt the same movement while resting my hand on my tummy. The following day, I began feeling little taps and pushes against my tummy and this continues throughout each day on and off. It often happens in the morning and late at night! I am able to feel this now without having my hands on my tummy at all!!

I just wanted to share my thoughts and give you an insight on what I have been experiencing during the first 20 weeks of my pregnancy. If anyone has had similar experiences or a completely different one I would love to hear from you!

Until next time,

Mum-2-B-April-2013,
L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: 20 weeks pregnant: Experiences and Symptoms

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:05 am

Congratulations!

I completely missed this one. I didn’t even realize you were pregnant!!

The joys of pregnancy!

It is interesting to read what you are going through.

When my sister in law had my niece she experienced vomiting throughout the pregnancy up until 9 months. Obviously she was extremely worried about it but the doctor said that most women stop throwing up after 3 or 4 months and then there are some who don’t.

Far out, your baby is going to be born in like 4 months… That’s so soon. Congratulations once again!!

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:26 pm

Congratulations LA - a beautiful baby on the way - how exciting.

something I experienced over the hotter months of summer during my pregnancy was very swollen and aching legs. If this is the case for you keep off your feet as much as you can (nearly impossible I know) and soak them in nice cool water. I used to have a bucket of water at the end of the couch :P
Raise legs if you have a footstool or a recliner chair.
Enjoy all the beautiful moments of being pregnant - all the little flutters and kicks. Maybe even try the maltesers trick LOL
All the best LA :) :) :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:21 am

Thanks Catchme and CathieK :)!

Catchme - It's good to know that the whole throwing up can last the entire 9 months. I'm doing alot better, not every day but at least 3 - 4 times a week. The acid makes it worse... especially at night time. Sometimes I hate eating dinner knowing I'll probably throw it up in the end. The funny thing is junk food is fine. Like pizza, fried rice, vegetarian noodles etc. I can eat that without throwing up but having a nice home cooked meal, makes it worse... My baby is already a food junkie! HAHAHA

CathieK - Definitely some great advice which Im going to use! My legs haven't swelled or ached as yet but you never know it's probably round the corner...lol... My baby is due in peak peak peak summer season here in India, so this means the temperature will reach around 35 to 40 degrees or more per day. I know right, the best time to have a baby... hot and sweaty. Don't worry I already made sure my room at the hospital has plenty of air conditioning! So, your advice is going to become quite handy I think.

All in all the count down is on... C'mon baby!!

:geek:,
L.A

jeangibbs62

Post by jeangibbs62 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:12 pm

5 months pregnant - this is a period of tremendous growth for your baby. Your baby is also growing muscle and is getting stronger every day. As your baby becomes stronger, he will move about more energetically, particularly when you are trying to get some sleep!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:00 pm

jeangibbs62 wrote:5 months pregnant - this is a period of tremendous growth for your baby. Your baby is also growing muscle and is getting stronger every day. As your baby becomes stronger, he will move about more energetically, particularly when you are trying to get some sleep!

During my 5th month of pregnancy my baby was so strong and energetic, she kicked and ruptured a cyst! HAHAHA!

:geek:,
Lorina