losing heart..and need a hug!

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

losing heart..and need a hug!

Post by dulciean » Wed May 02, 2012 1:53 pm

hello! - i have been AWOL from here for quite some time! if it's ok i'm just going to have a little vent!
i was forced to leave my full time position nearly 2 moths ago as i had to have emergency gall bladder surgery and because i had been at the centre less than 12 months, i only had a little sick leave-and needed 4 weeks to recover. there were many escalating issues at the centre, and i had been considering moving on anyhow. so, instead of taking 4 weeks unpaid leave, i cut my losses and resigned.
i took the few weeks' needed to recover post-op, then popped into a centre walking distance from my hone to ask about casual work. i was given work immediately- and the centre was a Nightmare! too much to go into details, they were breaking ratios, unqualified and inexperienced staff, no program at all, no concept of the EYLF! on my 4th shift lo and behold DOCS visited the centre to follow up some one's compalints. i was not surprised in the least!
i have been to several interviews- even looking at the new 'corporate' centres built in the highrises of sydney- a whole other planet where children have views of the city and Never get outside!
I am starting to lose heart - i haven't been offered a position as yet- and think i have lost my 'touch'?!
am also struggling with motivation on my diploma studies- haven't hit the books for weeks and weeks! the industry is crazy at the moment- NQS looming over everyone's heads and mass confusion!
i love my work, but i'm losing hope fast. please -someone remind me why we are doing this job?! :roll: :think:

Lorina

Re: losing heart..and need a hug!

Post by Lorina » Fri May 04, 2012 6:28 pm

Big hugs to you!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been down on your luck! You've had a pretty tough few months and I hope that your health is back to normal... Even though you had to go through surgery it must be kinda of a relief to be out of that centre but I completely understand how difficult it can be finding a centre that's right for you. I can assure you that you haven't lost your touch and I'm sure that you will find a position soon. Sometimes when everything seems to be going against you it's completely understandable to feel crappy but in the end everything kinda has a way of working out, so take a deep breathe, it's all going to be fine! 

You asked to be reminded of why we are in this job and honestly I probably ask myself that question almost every week. The hours, the paperwork, the stress that we all do in this industry goes above and beyond and sometimes I feel that I physically and mentally cannot do it anymore. But then I hear one of my toddlers calling out to me, another reaching up to me, another smiling at me, the way each individual child has given me a reason to laugh and the love I have for the children... This is why I'm doing it, it's because of them! Its the children in the end make it all worthwhile...Don't give up hope! 

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Re: losing heart..and need a hug!

Post by LindyT » Sat May 05, 2012 7:56 pm

Totally and utterly agree with L.A!!