16 observations one educator

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Elissa Anderson

16 observations one educator

Post by Elissa Anderson » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:44 pm

So at the end of each month we have to hand in a copy of all our obs and the program to show the planning circle so each child is meant to have

2 individual observations
1 group observation
art piece with blurb/ob

Now I have 16 children on the roll and work in the kindy room so ratio 11:1 and I think 3 days a week I have more and so get different educators each time so find it hard to get them to help with observations but am struggling to get all these done on my own and end up doing it in my own time like most of the things I need to do for work and I have already raised my concern with my director but there is nothing that can be done.

Please help

Lorina

Re: 16 observations one educator

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:27 am

Hi! :wave:

You have to delegate that's the only way to get this load off your shoulders. You cannot complete this by yourself without stress and working at home to complete them.

Even if they are different educators coming in then that's ok each one will have their own perspective when observing a child. So spread the children over the course of the month and set up a time table for days and which child to observe and which educator.

You will still oversee all documentation such as reading the ob etc by other Educators so your up to date yourself.

Try not to stress - ask for help and support from your room team.

:geek:,
Lorina

Elissa Anderson

Post by Elissa Anderson » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:55 pm

thanks Lorina. I have asked for help but got no where and when i leave tasks they dont get done and the staff that come into my room are either people that dont know the children or are all ready in a room doing obs and are trying to focus on their own.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:33 am

FACEBOOK RESPONSE

It’s overwhelming isn’t it sometimes, I have twice as many kids on my roll but work as a team and have support where needed. But I find the best way to manage this is to have a tracking tool. The Belonging Being and Becoming document clearly states what a “learning cycle” is. If you find this learning cycle in the document you will see what documentation you need 🙂 hope this helps!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:34 am

FACEBOOK POST

A lot of work for you but lovely for the families! My daughter is lucky to get 1 individual every quarter 😞

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:34 am

FACEBOOK POST

That’s a lot of writing! By yourself! Maybe ask for another educator to do the group ob or write up everyone’s artwork.

Maybe a post it note on each art piece with a quick blurb will help if they don’t know what the artwork is.

I think once a month and that much paperwork is over the top.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:35 am

FACEBOOK POST

That’s a lot of writing! By yourself! Maybe ask for another educator to do the group ob or write up everyone’s artwork.

Maybe a post it note on each art piece with a quick blurb will help if they don’t know what the artwork is.

I think once a month and that much paperwork is over the top.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:35 am

FACEBOOK POST

There is no set requirements on how many observations per a child per a month. Check the NQF regulations arm yourself with the knowledge you need. As long as you are showing the learning cycle it doesn’t say how it needs to be done if that makes sense. This is obviously a thing your centre requires so you will probably have to comply but certainly open up the discussion about it.

My advice is streamline your work. Your group obs can be simple and your individual ones can be group observations but change the analysis and personalise it a little, it’s an individual ob but easier.

Elizeen

Post by Elizeen » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:24 am

This information is rather useful for me, thanks!