Culture Cluster

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
aussiechildcare

Culture Cluster

Post by aussiechildcare » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi Lorena,
I Keep looking the answers for these questions but I couldn't figure it out. Please help.

Further research any particular historical issues relating to the traditional custodians and the land that the service is on. This may also include regional or state issues. (I am located in Moreton Bay Region.)

Q1. What historical issues, in relation to the traditional custodians and the land, does the Centre need to consider?

Scenario A You live in Brisbane and have just secured a position as an educator in a Remote Early Childhood Service which is located in an Indigenous Community in the Cape York area. This will be the first time you have been to a remote community and you do not know much about the area.

Question 1. What steps could you take, and who would you consult with in preparing yourself, before to moving to your new job in reference to understand community protocols? List a minimum of three (3).

"the same scenario as above"
You have made contact with the outgoing Educator to discuss any issues/needs/ideas that you need to know before you move. The outgoing Educator has told you that there is difficulty in making relationships with the Community and difficulties in talking to the Board of Directors (Community Elders) about issues concerning the Service.
a) What could you do to improve relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, in regards to consultation and engagement between the Early Childhood Service and the community? List a minimum of two (2).

b) How would you engage with community members, who do not speak standard Australian English?

c) As part of your new job in the Cape York Early Childhood Service, you have been tasked with an outcome to promote cultural safety. Complete the table below to achieve the outcome.

The outcome is "Creating a welcoming sense of place for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people which supports a sense of belonging."

-What three (3) strategies and resources could we use to achieve this outcome?

_Who will be involved in each strategy? (including how you involve Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people)

_What will you see happening when you know your strategies have been successful?

Thank you in advance. :)

Kitty

Lorina

Re: Culture Cluster

Post by Lorina » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:43 am

The following information may help:

Indigenous Services

Cape York

Walking Together

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

aussiechildcare

Post by aussiechildcare » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:08 pm

Thank You Lorena. :)

aussiechildcare

Post by aussiechildcare » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:47 pm

Hi Lorena, there were questions that needs to be corrected. Please help. I'm from Brisbane- (Moreton Bay Region)

2.​What culturally significant sites may be local to the area?​
The Glass House Mountains
My answer:The Glass House Mountains are spiritually significant to Gubbi Gubbi people.
Teacher's Feedback: You have only named the Glass House Mountains. A bit more research around the area that you have mention in answer 1 has to be added. Resubmit

3.​How can the service show respect for these sites?
My answer: Do not climb the mountains and respect is shown by looking up not standing on top of them.
Once you have added more information to 2, you have to review this answer. The only mountain which has been officially been named so far is ‘Ayers Rock/Uluru’.
Resubmit

aussiechildcare

Post by aussiechildcare » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:50 pm

Further research any particular historical issues relating to the traditional custodians and the land that the service is on. This may also include regional or state issues. (I'm located in Brisbane at Moreton Bay Region)

What historical issues, in relation to the traditional custodians and the land, does the service need to consider?

My Answer: That their land was taken was from them and their ancestors were massacred during colonial expansion.​

Teachers's Feedback: Additional information is required. Refer to the impact that future families might still suffer and that staff might have to consider. Think about the respect that the Aboriginal has for their land. Resubmit​

aussiechildcare

Post by aussiechildcare » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:55 pm

Scenario 1
A new family from Greece has just enrolled in your service. The child Marko will be starting in care next week. This is the first time Marko will have attended a service with other children. The family have brought Marko to your Kindergarten room to meet you and your Lead Educator. You notice the family speak little English and there will be a language barrier in regards to their understanding of some information.

​What information would you make available for Marko’s family about community services and resources in your area? List three (3).
My ANSWER: I will encourage Marko’s family to Register to any online community newsletters, newsfeed through social media- Facebook, twitter, etc. Such things as connecting with other Greek people in the community such as Greek dance classes, Facebook Greek group page, and any other information on current social events, celebrations, etc.
Services will respond to local events and neighbourhood cultural features make cultural competency a relevant and meaningful experience to Marko and his family.

Teacher's FEEDBACK: What local relevant services could you mention that could be potentially beneficial for Marko and also for the parents? What are the programs in the community would you recommend? It is not just about encouraging them. What are you going to do? Review your answers and resubmit

d.) Provide two (2) strategies you could implement to ensure the information shared in b) and c) is current and easily understood (consider language barriers)?
One strategy to help address language barriers is to ensure that basic information for families is translated into the languages of those families who attend the service. Providing reading books for the children with different languages.
Information should be translated into Greek/any languages if possible. Many government sites offer information in different languages that could be used at the Centre. Brochures or flyers about the program's educational philosophy, hours of operation and payment rates and schedules are other examples of written materials that can be translated. In addition, welcome videos or DVDs may be translated, to offer a more personal connection and provide information to families.
Add labels and signs within the room in different languages, putting Signs in different languages for Toilet signs, kitchen signs, etc. for easy access and easily understood.
Try to use some words or phrases from their culture or home language. Remember to speak slowly and clearly. Be aware there may be a need for an interpreter when conducting meetings with families or training with staff from diverse cultures.

TEACHER'S FEEDBACK: Your whole paragraph is great in explaining how you are going to make sure that the information is easily understood.
Can you add how you are going to make sure that the information and resources are current? Resubmit this part​

e)​How will you assist Marko’s family to locate and contact current community services and resources available?
MY ANSWER: I will assist them to locate local library and local council so they can find out what community dates and community events are celebrated in local area through newsletters, locating social media community page, bulletin boards, and relevant information.
TEACHER'S FEEDBACK: Yes, great, how? Resubmit
[etc.] Please do not write etc, because I do not know what more you want to include in your answer.
[Once they know where’s local library or local council information desk then it will be easier for them to engage in the community and familiarise the area.] This is not necessary.​
How are you going to help with contacting the services. Resubmit

aussiechildcare

Post by aussiechildcare » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:59 pm

I'm really stuck now and juggling to do my assessments on top of personal commitments (like children and work)
I'm hoping I can resubmit this Assessment due date by 28th October 😔😔

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:13 am

See if the following helps:

https://mappingbrisbanehistory.com.au/b ... ous-sites/

https://www.nullarborroadhouse.com.au/r ... p-in-mind/

https://www.snaicc.org.au/wp-content/up ... /02497.pdf

For the scenario:

1) Community services and resources - could you include doctors, dentists, hospitals, community health services etc.

2) Stay updated by constantly checking government agencies, websites and local information by receiving monthly email updates, alerts, follow these on social media etc.

3) Provide them with the website details, phone number, address etc.

Wow, they are picky about your answers!

Lorina

aussiechildcare

Post by aussiechildcare » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:57 am

"Wow, they are picky about your answers!"

Yes I agree with you :) LOL

All questions must be answered to a ‘satisfactory’ standard and the school requirement is 100% pass. I need to make sure I will pass this time as this is my second chance. We have only 2 attempts to get Satisfactory Result.

Thank You Lorena for the link I'll check them now.

warm regards,
Kitty

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:37 am

Hi Kitty,

No problem at all! I mean you answered the questions they asked... :) LOL! They want ALL THE DETAILS!

Good Luck!

Lorina