Unhappy at work

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
shmollie_hollie
Participator
Participator

Unhappy at work

Post by shmollie_hollie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:09 pm

So basically, i love the kids at my centre and the staff and the families, they are honestly such beautiful people! But none of the staff at my centre are happy lately, we are overworked, understaff on purpose, the owner never says anything positive just beats us down with negatives every single day, and i dont agree with the owners set of prioritys. All we do all day is clean, clean and clean. The centre boasts about providing an educational environment and charges $95 per day, yet the kids arnt getting ANYTHING out of it. My centre co-ordinator has just resigned and she was the only person holding us all together and now that shes leaving im worried it will get worse. I am unhappy at work because of the director and priorities and understaffing on purpose to make more profit and over working, yet im reluctant to leave because i love the kids so much and the staff i work with :( yet i think all the staff are leaing now. dont know what to do! and cant seem to find any other work around for a cert III :( feeling really depressed need some advice! Thanks.

Misse84
Helper
Helper

Re: Unhappy at work

Post by Misse84 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:55 am

I am sorry to hear that Hollie

I am in the same situation as you , love the staff and kids but the owner is making it hell . We get yelled at and hardly praised .

I would suggest emailing centres around you and maybe even walking in and give them your resume . They might not advertise it but you can still try .

It is up to the owner to make the work place pleasant and happy for the children and staff. I think people like that do not change , saddly .

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Go from centre to centre and hand in your CV personally, sometimes positions are filled by word of mouth before even being advertised and if you have gone in and had a chat with them if something comes up you may be the 1st person they contact because they have already met you.
Im sure you will find something, it just takes some patience sometimes and perseverance.
Good Luck

smith76
Participator
Participator

Post by smith76 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:11 pm

I would band together join the union and make sure that you guys are working in a happy safe environment not only for you and your staff but for the children too because they sense things as well.

shmollie_hollie
Participator
Participator

Post by shmollie_hollie » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:49 pm

Thanks everyone for your support and ideas! Ive been applying for other jobs and sending out my resume to centres in my area its just hard because im gonna miss all the staff and kids and families so much :( thanks everyone so much!

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:03 pm

hi shmollie_hollie....i remember going through something like this before..I had an experience like this at a small centre probably about 4-5 yrs ago. It was a privately run centre and the centre director was, just say - very moody. Staffs never get appreciated and it always seems like what we do isint enough. Its just the way she is..she wants everything perfect, but she is hardly there just comes and goes, but when she is there its a nightmare for all staffs. We always work hard even when she is not at the centre but everytime she pays a visit she acts as if we dont do enough and we are probably just blugging. So it felt like we werent appreciated. At that stage I just dealt with it and stayed there for almost a year. After that I just moved to another centre that suited me better. So what I am trying to say is, sometimes some centre directors might just be a person like that by nature and if its getting to you, then why not try applying to other centres and see whats out there. Then you can decide if you want to change centres or not. If you cant start looking for a new job now for some reason, just stay at your current centre until your feel its time for you to change. its a tough noogie and hope things work out well for you.. :thumbup:

shmollie_hollie
Participator
Participator

Post by shmollie_hollie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks catchmeifyoucan, that sounds EXACTLY like my centre and my director! Ive just accepted a job at another centre and have resigned so hopefully everything works out good! Im really down about leaving but at the same time relieved that its all over! Thanks everyone for your support!