CHCECE025 - Embed sustainable practices in service operations

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
aabro8

CHCECE025 - Embed sustainable practices in service operations

Post by aabro8 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi, I was wondering if i can get some with this, as i handed it in and it was not correct. my teachers feedback was:
The areas to cover in your question - waste disposal, greenhouse effect, ozone layer/biodiversity –please make reference to your resource collection ideas when covering these global issues.

Questions:
Describe in detail how you used these resources to encourage children to participate in discussions and learning experiences around sustainability and global issues. (Please reference: waste disposal, greenhouse effect, ozone layer/biodiversity).

Answer:

1. Natural Materials:
• Natural materials we used feathers as a paint brush for painting. I encouraged the children to use the feathers for painting by asking them how people in the olden days use to write with them and see if its fun. When the children were painting with the tip of the feathers they said it is stylish and they like it.
2. Recycled Materials:
• Recycled materials we used tissue boxes to use as shoes. I encouraged the children to use tissues boxes as shoes by asking them if they wanted to be like big foot and stomp around the centre. When the children started walking around like big foot they wear making noises like “Roar” and having fun with lots of laughs.
3. Spaces to encourage learning about life skills such as growing / preparing food:
• The way we encouraged children to learn about growing was using plants as examples. We talked about what plants need to grow and if they don’t get it what will happen to the plant. For example plants wont live without water so they need water to live and grow. For preparing food we had some fruits and had some pictures on how to make fruit salad. The children enjoyed cutting the fruits and mixing them together.
4. Encouraging learning about waste reduction / recycling including families.
• To encourage learning about waste reduction/ recycling we did fun activites with the children. For recycling we showed children what they should recycle and which bin we should throw to recycle them. We asked families to bring in some items to the centre and to spare sometime to stay in the morning to learn about recycling. We put the items infront of children and families and asked them what should be recycled and what shouldn’t be recycled. The children had a lots of fun picking items that should be recycled and putting them in the bin. For waste reduction we used the three ‘R’ to explain it to the children and families, Reduce, reuse and recycle. Telling children and families to reduce the things they use in daily life and use only what is nessary to use, reuse what is still good instead of throwing it away or give it to someone else to use and recycle what is not needed anymore.
5. Encouraging children to develop respect for the natural environment.
• National Quality Standard 3 aims to encourage children to increase their understanding about their responsibility to care for the environment, day to day, and for long-term sustainability. The way we encourage children to respect the natural environment was by taking them to the garden and letting them water the garden. Telling them about plants how they are a food source to some animals and how they are good to the nature.
6. Sharing information about the impact of human activity on the environment (with children and families).
• We need trees because through their leaves, trees take in carbon dioxide from the air, use it to make the sugar that is their food, and release gases they don't use back through their leaves. We need Plants turn Carbon dioxide in the air into Oxygen. Oxygen is the waste product of photosynthesis (the name for the chemical which plants use to do all this) and this is just what we need to breathe.
7. Books for various ages on sustainability.
• The giving tree by Shel Sliverstein
• The earth book by todd parr
• We are extremely good recyclers by lauren child

8. A resource sourced from within the community (e.g. check council websites for sustainability ideas).
• Brisbane City Council provides a number of different services to help schools minimise their waste. These include education programs for students and teachers, tours of the landfill site, assistance with waste management plans and organic recycling workshops.

reenabajpai

Re: CHCECE025 - Embed sustainable practices in service operations

Post by reenabajpai » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:18 pm

I need help with this please If some one could give me idea I am right or not.
Task 2
You are to write 5 learning stories documenting how you have supported children to develop an understanding and respect for the natural environment. You must include the following points over the course of the 5 learning stories.
1) use of natural or recycled materials.
2) discussions with children about the natural environment and the interdependence between people, plants, animals and the land.
3) growing and preparing food.
4) how you have role model led respect, care and appreciation for the natural environment.
5) record children’s voices, e.g. exchange of thoughts and ideas about sustainable practices.
Learning stories
Answer:
I observe children collect sticks and leaves from the outdoor garden and asked educator they would like to paint with it and also would like to write with the help of leaves.( learning story for natural materials).
I did experience with the different coloured lid bins that is recycle, rubbish and compost bin. We asked children their views what things goes in the recycle bin and what we do the left over food.
We did the planting experience for growing and preparing food.
We also did the group discussion on how to save water and what to do the lights if we not in the room.
We also read the book on the very hungry caterpillar for to give knowledge about the natural environment and the interdependence between people, plants , animals and the land.
Please let me know if I am on the right track??
Thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:06 am

Yes, you're on the right track with your response.

It mentions that when covering the 5 points that you need to document it in a Learning Story format. This may help:

How To Write A Learning Story

Make sure to include photos as well.

:geek:,
Lorina

reenabajpai

Post by reenabajpai » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:13 am

Thanks lorina