Cleaning While Supervising

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
mirrorreflex
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Cleaning While Supervising

Post by mirrorreflex » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:38 am

Hi,

At my centre we do not have a cleaner. Also recently I have been working by myself with the children.
So normally I have to do the cleaning (vacuuming, sweeping, etc.) by myself with sometimes still 11 children, some of which I suspect are undiagnosed.

I don't feel like I am demonstrating a proper duty of care to child and properly supervising them because of this.

Also some of the children really act up while I am distracted with this.

Any advice on how to keep kids from acting up while trying to do cleaning?

Lorina

Re: Cleaning while supervising

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Can you gove them quiet activities to do in one part of the room that you are not cleaning? Or make a few busy bags that they can choose and complete while they are waiting. Puzzles is another good one to help keep them entertained.

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Cleaning While Supervising

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:29 am

FACEBOOK POST

When I am in the room alone with 11 children the children help me. Stack their chairs, wipe the table and sweep the floor after afternoon tea and they love to vacuum. While they sit and read books and put on their sunscreen and hats before we go outside I mop the floor, then we're ready to go. Children love responsibility, love to help, and it's teaching them good life skills for later on.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:30 am

FACEBOOK POST

Make them clean with you! Giving children chores to complete, is a great way to make them accountable and responsible for their environment and it helps release their energy.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

Totally agree. When I worked in nursery this is just how I found time to.complete all the toys cleaning. Got a bucket of warm soapy water and 10 cloths. One for me and the rest for the children. I'd squeeze all the water out and let them go for it. Obviously they are nursery children and not doing it properly but it kept them busy so I could complete the task properly. It was amazing what skills they actually picked at such a young age.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

'educators must ensure all children being educated and cared for by the service are adequately supervised at all times' - if you cannot, see , hear, account for and immediately attend to the children - cleaning should be off. BUT. We all know none of us are paid to stay after children go home and we all clean with kids in care ....

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:31 am

FACEBOOK POST

Include them with some of it, some kids love helping

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

Create opportunities for the children to be included

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

I'm assuming your Centre has 'ratios under the roof'. This drives me nuts!
If you are alone and a child (or you) has an accident, how easy is it for you to get help? Do you leave the room or can you get to a phone or indeed have to scream for help?
As for the cleaning, I would do the minimum you can deal with while supervising.
I agree with the other comments here. If the children are able, involve them in simple tasks, certainly not toilets though.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:32 am

FACEBOOK POST

If someone is left by themselves, then under the roof ratio isn’t being implemented legally or effectively.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:33 am

FACEBOOK POST

Technically within the award, we are not required to clean efficiently. We are to tidy up and general cleaning.. but actual cleaning like toilets, mopping etc is actually meant to be done by a professional. We are trained to teach and support and care for children. We are not trained in ratios of cleaning agents or in efficient cleaning methods. Technically if we clean, we aren’t even cleaning properly as we are supervising kids and not professional cleaners!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:33 am

FACEBOOK POST

It is not your job to do anything more then a basic cleaning, cleaning of craft or food messes, tidy toys, all of which the children should be helping with anyway. But after care cleaning should be done once the children have left and cleaning agents can be used. The only cleaning used while children are in care should be dish liquid. Other chemicals are for when the children are gone, bleach, disinfectants, deoderisers ect.