'Working towards' pay rate

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
miss_sarah

'Working towards' pay rate

Post by miss_sarah » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:08 pm

Hi all :)

I started in a LDC a few months ago and am studying my cert 3 whilst working part time 37.5hr/wk - not on a traineeship. I am just wondering what level I should be paid at as I don't know where I fit with the levels... I am currently being paid at level 2.1 $20.10/hr - is this correct?

Lorina

Re: 'Working towards' pay rate

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:45 pm

Since you have not completed a Cert 3 as yet, you will be on Level 2. According to the Children's Service Award:

Level 2

This is an employee who has completed 12 months in Level 1, or a relevant AQF Certificate II, or in the opinion of the employer has sufficient knowledge and experience to perform the work within the scope of this level. An employee at this level has limited knowledge and experience in children's services and is expected to take limited responsibility for their own work.

Indicative duties:
Assist in the implementation of the children's program under supervision.
Assist in the implementation of daily care routines.
Develop awareness of and assist in the maintenance of the health and safety of the children in care.
Give each child individual attention and comfort as required.
Understand and work according to the centre or service's policies and procedures.
Demonstrate knowledge of hygienic handling of food and equipment.

Reference: Levels For Childcare Wages

As for your pay rate, yes you are being paid correctly.

Reference: Childcare Wages

Once you complete your Cert 3 qualification, your pay rate will increase.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

miss_sarah

Post by miss_sarah » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Thank you Lorina! Someone had mentioned to me that I should be getting paid at level 3A.1 but I couldn't find a clear answer. Thanks again :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:29 pm

You're welcome!

In regards to being on 3A, these are the indicated duties:

Assist in the preparation, implementation and evaluation of developmentally appropriate programs for individual children or groups.
Record observations of individual children or groups for program planning purposes for qualified staff.
Under direction, work with individual children with particular needs.
Assist in the direction of untrained staff.
Undertake and implement the requirements of quality assurance.
Work in accordance with food safety regulations.

Since you have just started in LDC, you will not have had experience in some of the above tasks or given the responsibilities such as recording observations, evaluate programs etc.

So that's why Level 2 is more appropriate Level for you at this stage.

Lorina

miss_sarah

Post by miss_sarah » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Hi Lorina,

Thank you for your replies. I have one more question related to this topic too. I have had 4 days recently where the room leader was absent and I ran the room, which included planning learning activities, writing the daily journey and reflections for the day. There was no diploma or cert 3 qualified educator in the room with me either. Am I supposed to be paid higher duties for these days?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:54 pm

In regards to higher duties, this is what it says in the Children's Award:

"If you’re engaged in higher duties for two or more consecutive hours you will be paid the time you spent at a higher rate, provided that:

the greater part of the time so worked is spent in performing duties carrying the higher rate;

if you’re engaged as a Children’s Services Employee Level 5 (Assistant Director) who is required to undertake the duties of a Director by reason of the Director’s absence will not be entitled to payment under this clause unless the Director’s absence exceeds two complete consecutive working days;

if you’re engaged as a Children’s Services Employee Level 3 who is required to undertake duties of the Director by reason of the Director’s non-attendance outside of core hours will not be entitled to payment under this clause;

where you are appointed to act as the Director of a Centre or a Supervising Officer pursuant to the relevant childcare regulations, they will be paid for the entire period at the rate applicable for a Director or Supervising Officer; or

if you are required to undertake the duties of another employee by reason of the latter employee’s absence for the purpose of attending (with pay) an approved training course (including in-service training) will not be entitled to payment under this clause.

It seems to me that you should have been paid at a higher wage for those days...

Lorina

miss_sarah

Post by miss_sarah » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:17 pm

Thank you so much Lorina. I will approach my director again :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:50 pm

You're welcome!

Let me know how it goes or if you need any further information!

Lorina