Weather Policies/Regulations and Procedures

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
sarah.h

Weather Policies/Regulations and Procedures

Post by sarah.h » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 pm

Hopefully I have found the right place to post this. I was wondering if there is anything in the regs regarding weather? We had a massive thunderstorm go through today and my friend who is also an educator went to pick her children up only to find them playing outside in the storm. We have both previously worked at the centre so know the hazards that are in and around the centre. The director brushed it under the carpet and basically said that she was informed by the staff member that the children were not out in the weather. I'm sure I've previously read something about severe weather in the regulations but I'm not quite sure. It is driving us both bananas as we've been trying to look it up for over an hour. Any help would be much appreciated.

Lorina

Re: Weather Policies/Regulations and Procedures

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:19 pm

I just went through the Regulations and I haven't found anything regarding to Storms. However, Educators need to use their common sense. If there are trees around and children are playing in thunderstorms and lightning, it's a hazard. Or if it's windy and storms, it could cause branches to fall etc. Also in severe thunderstorms, children can get sick or catch bronchitis due to the cold weather etc.

Educators should keep children safe and not put children in risky situations. Playing in light drizzle rain is accetable but in my opinion not in severe thunderstorms.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

sarah.h

Post by sarah.h » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:03 am

Hey Lorina,
Thats exactly what we were thinking and what the director said. The staff member in question was brought into a meeting and then admitted that she had lied and that the children were out in the storm not inside like she had previously said. We both used to work at the centre and and I myself have nearly been hit by a falling tree while packing up the yard. We also had a severe weather policy but the centre is now owned by a new company who are now putting in place training for the staff to deal with these types of situations. We also bought up other issues and the director was shocked. Unfortunately the majority of staff a high school age and have only just finished studying so they don't have a lot of experience so hopefully they can all learn from this :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:52 pm

Yes, it's all a learning experience!

However, even if that particular staff member did something wrong, lying is pretty unethical so you may want to encourage the younger Educators that they need to tell the truth even if it means getting into trouble etc.

Its great to hear that the centre is training the staff though, that's important to make sure everyone knows how to deal with these situations.

In regards to reporting to the Director, for those who work in the office only, they are often surprised to hear what exactly is happening between Educators. When you are working so closely with others, things will get said and done and sometimes taken too far and even the Director would not know of the happenings. That is why I think the Director should be open to having weekly chats with all Educators, where it can be a safe place for Educators to voice their concerns and issues or even just to vent. It helps!

You got your work cut out for you with the younger ones!

:geek:,
Lorina

kidsxap123

Post by kidsxap123 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:40 pm

I think, whenever there is thunderstorm and there is a big tree near the building than educators needs to be cautious.