I dont know how to programme

Questions related to program, planning, assessing, managing documentation, implementing EYLF, MTOP, NQS and other approved frameworks.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ilovechildren
Participator
Participator

I dont know how to programme

Post by ilovechildren » Wed May 16, 2018 3:26 am

Hi Everyone, So i studied certificate 111 many years ago. I did not learn programming and i do not remember anything i learnt and ive heard everything has changed since i did my cert 111. I took a full time job that said they would support me with programming and they never taught me how even though i explained i dont know how before i got the job.
I have been offered another job but i am scared to take it because i dont think they understand that i really don't know. Even with learning stories/daily stories. Im not good at coming up with things to write. Am i in the wrong industry? i love helping out and caring for children but im worried i am not cut out to be a educator, not sure what to do.
Is there any way i can teach myself ? Is it hard to programme? :sweating:

SakuraChelle
Participator
Participator

Re: I dont know how to programme

Post by SakuraChelle » Wed May 16, 2018 8:07 am

You could look into doing your Diploma to get that information/knowledge? I also think there may be workshops which help explain the EYLF & possibly even some to help with documentation/programming

I personally don't think its all that hard to program/document. Did you learn anything about documentation in your Cert III? I'd presume so but I don't know. I know when I did mine it was pre-EYLF so what I learned wasn't necessarily what I then had to do once I started working. If you look on here you can download the National Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) to read that (along with any other framework if you're in Vic or WA). I know that my service writes up learning stories/observations & connect them with the learning outcomes on the EYLF

If you talk with the centre who have offered you a job maybe you can find out how they do their documentation/programming & learn before accepting? Or at least have a better idea on what you'll need to try & learn for the role

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu May 17, 2018 1:15 am

As a cert 3 Educator, programming is not your responsibility... programming is mainly for the Diploma qualified educator. You will assist in the programming such as maybe adding experiences you will like the children to participate in based on what you have observed or the children's interests, but you will not be "in charge" of planning the full program.

If you read the following information, this will give you a basic understanding of programming. There are many different ways it can be done but the overall sense is similar:

How To Write The EYLF Curriculum Plan

Have a read through the above and see if it helps with your understanding.

Also, don't worry too much about it - when working with the room leader they will show you what needs to be done and guide you through it.

As you practice, you will get a much better understanding and you will pick up on programming.

Don't let this stop you from working with children if it's your passion!

:geek:,
Lorina

SakuraChelle
Participator
Participator

Post by SakuraChelle » Thu May 17, 2018 8:40 am

Lorina wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:15 am
As a cert 3 Educator, programming is not your responsibility... programming is mainly for the Diploma qualified educator. You will assist in the programming such as maybe adding experiences you will like the children to participate in based on what you have observed or the children's interests, but you will not be "in charge" of planning the full program.

Not to disagree, but I think that depends on where you work. As where I work we all have the same responsibilities regardless of our qualifications. The room leader has a bit more, sure, and they're more "in charge", but we've all got to do programming.

So in saying that I think the thread starter should check how it works at their centre as different places may expect more or less from their Cert 3 Educator

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu May 17, 2018 11:36 am

Yes you’re right... it does depend on where you work... everyone should be involved in the programming and planning... however it is not in a Cert 3 jobs description to take responsibility of programming - if so they should be paid the rate of a diploma qualified room leader... the majority of the programming is given to the room leader with the Cert 3 assisting where needed such as writing daily reflections, observations etc.

:geek:,
Lorina

ilovechildren
Participator
Participator

Post by ilovechildren » Tue May 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Thankyou Lorina for your response, really appreciate it. I actually took a job where i had to do programming and i had to resign, as there wasn't support and had no idea what i was doing. Also, i do not know how to do daily reflections or observations. I did do a very small amount of that when i studied over 5 years ago. Is it hard? i will be studying my diploma soon. It just sucks not being able to do all these things as i feel like i cant hold a job until i do.

SakuraChelle
Participator
Participator

Post by SakuraChelle » Wed May 23, 2018 5:05 pm

Lorina is probably best for answering this but in my experience there isn't necessarily a set way of writing. I'm sure that we all have different writing styles, so there may not necessarily be a right way of writing up a daily reflection or observation. There may be a set template to use though depending on the service or what exactly you're writing up. Observations themselves come in many different forms/methods (E.G. learning stories, anecdotal observations, running records, photo observations, ect.) so it would depend on the type of observation. For example a photo observation is a series of photos which show what is happening with a small amount of text to explain what is happening in the photos. That's possibly one of, if not the, easiest type of observation to do. But even samples of the child's work is a part of programming/observing children and their learning as it shows what the child has achieved/created. But it will come down to your service as at mine we mainly do learning stories.

I think this article would be helpful for you to look at as it explains different types of observations & how to do them :) : Different Types of Observation Methods
You could always practice and have a go at observing anyone or anything to write one up & see how you go. If you have a pet, a child, or a partner observe them & write up an observation on them to test it out maybe?

I'm not sure on how much of the process you would need to do, but another helpful article is this one: Observations in Childcare