Has anyone else been made to feel guilty about taking sick leave?

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Miss_Blue

Has anyone else been made to feel guilty about taking sick leave?

Post by Miss_Blue » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:36 pm

I kinda feel as though the director gets annoyed with me when I've had to call in sick at times.

I always get a medical certificate (because I am legitimately sick).

I ask because I feel as though I'm coming down with something and I'm terrified about calling in. Mainly because the last time I called in sick (about 3 1/2 months ago) it was obviously an annoyance to her.

I get that it adds to her already busy day but I can't help it. I feel as though I have to go to work when unwell... which isn't good for me, the children or other staff.

I feel like she treats me differently for ages after my time off. It's very stressful.

It annoys me too, as I know I have the legal right to use my sick leave when needed.

:?

Lorina

Re: Has anyone else been made to feel guilty about taking sick leave?

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:29 am

I know exactly what you're talking about! But do you know what don't take it personally and seriously try not to worry about what others think! When you're sick, you cannot work and that's that! If your Director is going to have a problem with it, either they let you know or they deal with it! It's much more worse you going to work sick, spreading germs and you not giving your all since you are sick at the centre so if you're sick, your sick! Not one person is going to be 100% perfect the whole year! Don't let it get to you!!

:geek:,
Lorina

Miss_Blue

Post by Miss_Blue » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Hey, thanks. I'm trying not to let it get to me... I always have such guilt about it. Thanks for replying.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:55 pm

No, I understand! You would rather be sick at home than at work!

You'll be right!

Lorina

Rae1981

Post by Rae1981 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi I know this is coming a little late but as also being a director I agree with Lorina. Don't take it personally. I may seem annoyed when my staff call in sick, but its generally my mind going 100 k's an hour worrying about the sick staff member, replacing them, ratios etc. It is definitely not blaming the staff member. You cannot help being sick.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:52 pm

Rae1981 wrote:Hi I know this is coming a little late but as also being a director I agree with Lorina. Don't take it personally. I may seem annoyed when my staff call in sick, but its generally my mind going 100 k's an hour worrying about the sick staff member, replacing them, ratios etc. It is definitely not blaming the staff member. You cannot help being sick.
Thank you for adding this point. It's important to hear from Directors on these issues...

Appreciate it!

Lorina

mumof41970

Post by mumof41970 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi All,
My daughter (a fulltime Cert 3 ) works 4 days @ 8hours a day at the centres request.
Yesterday she received an official warning letter regarding her sick leave. She has always provided a doctors certificate when off sick and during one of the periods being referred to in this letter she had a hospital discharge /certificate after being so ill I took her to the emergency department.
She currently has approx .5 of a day accrued sick leave untaken. She has never been spoken to in regards to taking sick leave , and has only been off when she is genuinely ill. Then out of the blue this letter was handed to her as she left work. I havent got to speak to her about todays "meeting" as yet but thought that this letter seemed quite abrupt and possibly out of line, Can I have your thoughts please
I have attached a copy of letter with names/centre blanked out

Thankyou
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AMH

Post by AMH » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:21 pm

Please don't quote me on this, but surely that is absolutely not OK. We have a sick leave entitlement to use when we're unwell and we are entitled to use as much as we have accumulated. I.E if your daughter had accrued the 7 days of sick leave she has used, she is entitled to use it. Most businesses have a policy surrounding medical certificates in instances of having 2 or more consecutive days off which you said your daughter has done. My advice is to go through her contract and see what it states about leave, have a look at the centre's policy surrounding leave as well as grievance policies/performance management (a centre might have an informal meeting prior to any written notices) and get on the phone to Fair Work. Make sure your daughter is going into that meeting well versed on what her rights are so they don't take advantage of her. In the past, Fair Work has offered to be on the phone during meetings so they can explain the Fair Work Act if needed, otherwise ensure your daughter prints off all the information she needs from Fair Work to take in with her and refer to during the meeting. Your daughter is probably entitled to having a support person in the meeting with her since it seems to be a disciplinary meeting so definitely check that out.
https://www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/sick- ... rers-leave

SakuraChelle
Participator
Participator

Post by SakuraChelle » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:47 pm

I felt the same way reading it. It doesn't look right to me at all. Especially if she's actually got legitimate reasons to be off - with medical certificate proof that she was sick. Its not like she's just not turning up. Then if they have a sick employee they shouldn't want them there sharing the germs.

How did her meeting go?

mumof41970

Post by mumof41970 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:28 pm

Thanks for the reply,
She stood her ground and stated that she was sick, not just having a day off & reminded the owner that on one of the occasions she had gone to hospital and was given morphine and endone for pain relief and would not be able to function at work on those. They mentioned cutting down her hours again but when she reminded them no one else wanted to do the shifts that she does, they back peddled and said just dont take any more time off. She found out today that a few girls at the centre also got letters about attendence, so they must be going threw records as they sort out next years rosters, one girl in another room apparently was working 5 days , and after her meeting was cut down to 4 .
Fingers crossed she can avoid any tummy bugs or that go thru the centre regularly.
I briefly spoke to Fair Work NSW who said it sounds like she could follow it up as a case covered under a 'general protections matter' ,
Not sure what her plans are yet

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:44 pm

It's so frustrating for geniune sick Educators having to deal with these issues! Do they want Educators coming to work sick and spreading germs to children and other staff. How many times we as Educators chastise parents for bringing their child in sick yet when an Educator is sick it seems like we have to suck it up and work! Very frustrating! If you have legitimate reasons such as a medical certificate for not being at work then that should be accepted!

I know that some Educators may take time off work unnecessarily but it doesn't mean all Educators are the same!!

I'm sorry to read the letter your daughter received! It does seem unfair and I'm glad to hear she stood her ground! The director should have an action plan put in place such as a list of casuals to call upon when an Educator does fall sick...

Now when you're genuinely sick you have to stress about contacting work, letting them know and worry about whether or not you're going to be reprimanded for it...

Either way if you're sick stay at home... don't worry about it and get better!

mumof41970

Post by mumof41970 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks Lorina