workplace counselling

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
cussi

workplace counselling

Post by cussi » Wed May 03, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi Lorna
I have been in childcare for 7 years I'm diploma qualified . Recently I completed my diploma in counselling I would like to get into the workplace counselling in childcare. I am not sure how to go about it I feel having worked in childcare there is a need for it. I was wondering if you know how I can pursue my new adventure.
Thank you
Carmel

Lorina

Re: workplace counselling

Post by Lorina » Fri May 05, 2017 3:27 am

Are you referring to counselling as working with the educators within the centre? At one of my centres I had worked with previously there was a counselling service setup (can't remember which one) that educators could ring and talk to a counsellor over the phone if need be, however, I don't know how many educators themselves actually used this service. if you were to say make a scheduled time to go and visit services and speak one on one with educators this may be helpful however there are a lot of considerations such as when would be the most suitable time, do you see all educators, do educators make an appointment with you etc. it would be helpful actually to have someone else to vent to and to get guidance from, so you could be onto something here...

:geek:,
Lorina

cussi

Post by cussi » Fri May 05, 2017 10:51 am

Thanks Lorina for your reply. Yes i would be working with educators ive been thinking to meet directors and discuss how to go about it I'll make a list of questions to ask before the meeting
Thank you
Carmel

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun May 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi Carmel,

Yes it's a really good idea and I know that it would be helpful for educators to talk about their issues and concerns with someone. Also, you need to work out what you would do if it happens to be a complex work issue and the director has to be informed how would you approach this... As I have heard and read on the forum itself there is a lot of bullying going on in some centres and that could be a issue for some educators, how would you handle that when the director needs to be informed? Just something you also need to consider...

:geek:,
Lorina