Promote cultural safety.

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Participator
Participator

Promote cultural safety.

Post by Newbie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:24 pm

Hi all, I just got my assignment back and have to re do a couple of things :( I've been stuck on this assignment for weeks! ill post what I put in and my answers. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm just so stuck!

Part B
List 2 situations where you would need to engage a cultural broker (for eg. Interpreters or well-informed colleagues) to support children and families from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander culture.

1. Cultural brokers ‘stand in the gap’
Cultural brokers provide a variety of support services for families involved with the child welfare system, or at risk of becoming involved and can be referred to a family at any point in the system, and can be of most assistance to a family/DCFS during key decision points. A

A Culture broker can be used when a new ATSI family enrolls in the service to communicate and ensure everyone understands and when issues arise and the ATSI family needs assistance understanding what has happened.

MY ANSWER
2. A cultural broker encourages the family to work with the case manager and provides support to the family.
-They assist with team meetings and provide information about the family.
- They help link the family with supportive resources
-The attend court with the family and provide helpful written reports to the case manager which can provide needed documentation for court purposes

What specific legislation do you need to be aware of that will guide your practices around Aboriginal cultural safety issues?

ANSWER
Aborigines Protection Act 1909: Gave the Aborigines Protection Board absolute control over the lives of indigenous Australian people, including regulation of residence, employment, marriage, social life and other aspects of daily life.

Police to remove children: Most Australian states from the mid-1800s established some kind of protectorate or police that supported removing Indigenous Australian children from their families. Compare this with the Child Placement Principle 2003, which was adopted in most states and requires placement of Indigenous Australian children with Indigenous Australian families or in Indigenous Australian care.

In 2003, the Child Placement Principal was adopted in most states. This requires placement of Indigenous Australian Children with Indigenous Australian families or in Indigenous Australian care.

Question 1

Reflecting on your understanding and the knowledge gained from your related studies, consider the impacts on Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural issues such as loss of land and culture, kinship and law on your professional practice. In the table below, summaries the potential cultural safety issues in the left- hand column, rate it from 0 to 5 in the middle column and suggest ways to improve the practice in the right-hand column.

1. Cultural awareness: Is the ability to recognize the different beliefs, values and customs that someone has based on the person’s origins, and it allows a person to build more successful personal and professional relationships in a diverse environment.

By understanding the indigenous culture and belief can assist in establishing relationships of trust, or rapport.
RATED 5
Seek knowledge about indigenous person’s culture, language, customs, and beliefs to decrease the possibility of miscommunication.
An example of this is Aboriginal people have different conversational conventions. It is considered disrespectful for Aboriginal people to look into a person’s eyes during the conversation. Without an understanding of this culture, indigenous people may be accused of being impolite

2. Language Barriers: Are the most common communication barriers, which cause misunderstandings and misinterpretations between people.
Difference in language is the most obvious barrier to communication, as two people speaking two different languages cannot communicate with each other. RATED 4
The accents and dialect of people belonging to different places differs even if their language is the same, this may lead to various kinds of conflicts. Another example of communication barriers is the use of Jargon may cause a language barrier.

3. Culture shock: Is the feelings of loneliness, disorientation, insecurity or confusion that occurs when someone leaves their home country to live in a new culture. Culture shock may come with any of the following symptoms
- Loneliness
- Depression
- Homesickness
- Need more sleep than normal
- Lack of energy
- Compulsive eating or loss of appetite
- Withdrawal from social activities
Rated 4

Help! I had to re-do these questions and I just don't know where I am going wrong :(

laiaar

Re: Promote cultural safety.

Post by laiaar » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:38 pm

can i ask what you put down for question 10

Name 2 ways that you could evaluate the programs and services you have designed to increase cultural safety at Gurung against the desired outcomes. (50-75 words each)

Participator
Participator

Post by Newbie » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:59 pm

Sure :)

Name 2 ways that you could evaluate the programs and services you have designed to increase cultural safety at Gurung against the desired outcomes. (50-75 words each)

1. All individuals are being accepting and showing respect for cross-cultural individuals and appreciate the diversity and an understanding of cultural safety. Everyone is being treated with dignity and courtesy. Everyone respect’s each other’s culture, knowledge, religion, beliefs and language.

2. An improved level of involvement of the relevant indigenous people. Providing indigenous people with an opportunity to become more involved in decision-making processes. As well as an improved relationship with ATSI families.

laiaar

Post by laiaar » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:37 pm

thank you

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:20 am

Newbie wrote:Hi all, I just got my assignment back and have to re do a couple of things :( I've been stuck on this assignment for weeks! ill post what I put in and my answers. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm just so stuck!

Part B
List 2 situations where you would need to engage a cultural broker (for eg. Interpreters or well-informed colleagues) to support children and families from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander culture.

1. Cultural brokers ‘stand in the gap’
Cultural brokers provide a variety of support services for families involved with the child welfare system, or at risk of becoming involved and can be referred to a family at any point in the system, and can be of most assistance to a family/DCFS during key decision points. A

A Culture broker can be used when a new ATSI family enrolls in the service to communicate and ensure everyone understands and when issues arise and the ATSI family needs assistance understanding what has happened.

MY ANSWER
2. A cultural broker encourages the family to work with the case manager and provides support to the family.
-They assist with team meetings and provide information about the family.
- They help link the family with supportive resources
-The attend court with the family and provide helpful written reports to the case manager which can provide needed documentation for court purposes

What specific legislation do you need to be aware of that will guide your practices around Aboriginal cultural safety issues?

ANSWER
Aborigines Protection Act 1909: Gave the Aborigines Protection Board absolute control over the lives of indigenous Australian people, including regulation of residence, employment, marriage, social life and other aspects of daily life.

Police to remove children: Most Australian states from the mid-1800s established some kind of protectorate or police that supported removing Indigenous Australian children from their families. Compare this with the Child Placement Principle 2003, which was adopted in most states and requires placement of Indigenous Australian children with Indigenous Australian families or in Indigenous Australian care.

In 2003, the Child Placement Principal was adopted in most states. This requires placement of Indigenous Australian Children with Indigenous Australian families or in Indigenous Australian care.

Question 1

Reflecting on your understanding and the knowledge gained from your related studies, consider the impacts on Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural issues such as loss of land and culture, kinship and law on your professional practice. In the table below, summaries the potential cultural safety issues in the left- hand column, rate it from 0 to 5 in the middle column and suggest ways to improve the practice in the right-hand column.

1. Cultural awareness: Is the ability to recognize the different beliefs, values and customs that someone has based on the person’s origins, and it allows a person to build more successful personal and professional relationships in a diverse environment.

By understanding the indigenous culture and belief can assist in establishing relationships of trust, or rapport.
RATED 5
Seek knowledge about indigenous person’s culture, language, customs, and beliefs to decrease the possibility of miscommunication.
An example of this is Aboriginal people have different conversational conventions. It is considered disrespectful for Aboriginal people to look into a person’s eyes during the conversation. Without an understanding of this culture, indigenous people may be accused of being impolite

2. Language Barriers: Are the most common communication barriers, which cause misunderstandings and misinterpretations between people.
Difference in language is the most obvious barrier to communication, as two people speaking two different languages cannot communicate with each other. RATED 4
The accents and dialect of people belonging to different places differs even if their language is the same, this may lead to various kinds of conflicts. Another example of communication barriers is the use of Jargon may cause a language barrier.

3. Culture shock: Is the feelings of loneliness, disorientation, insecurity or confusion that occurs when someone leaves their home country to live in a new culture. Culture shock may come with any of the following symptoms
- Loneliness
- Depression
- Homesickness
- Need more sleep than normal
- Lack of energy
- Compulsive eating or loss of appetite
- Withdrawal from social activities
Rated 4

Help! I had to re-do these questions and I just don't know where I am going wrong :(
Do you have to redo all these questions?

Are these your submitted responses from the first time? Or resubmit answers?

:geek:,
Lorina

Lottie95

Post by Lottie95 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi i am stuck on these questions for the past week and need some help or some new resources :)

Scenario 3: How you would find your local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community leaders or groups? Consider resources such as the Internet or Government agencies that could help you locate these people and groups.

Question 4: What are three questions you could ask the community about the Mabo Day event to help ensure the event is culturally safe for all participants?

Question 7: In the table below, you have been provided with two potential cultural safety issues that can occur at the Centre. Identify one strategy to reduce the impact of each issue.
issue 1: lack of awareness
issue 2: : Lack of recognition of familial structures

question 8: ) The goal of ‘best practice in cultural safety’ has been broken down into the following four objectives. For each objective, list one strategy to achieve the outcome at Garung Early Learning Centre.
objectives 1: Build effective partnerships between Garung’s staff and all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
objective 2: Promote partnerships with the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities
objective 3: Support the delivery of services and programs that are culturally safe and encourage increased participation in them
objective 4: Encourage self- determination and Community control at Garung.

Question 10) List two ways to increase the involvement of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders in planning and implementing Centre activities and programs.