Using A Bell During Transitions

Childcare room set-up ideas, strategies for teaching children, group times, Montessori teaching and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
chilliwinkle

Using A Bell During Transitions

Post by chilliwinkle » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:43 pm

My work colleague wants to use a bell to transition the children from changes in the routine i.e when time to pack up, or come inside. I do not agree but feel in need some points to back up this. Does anybody have any for or against this? And how would it comply to EYLF? And has any one been assessed and used a bell? Thanks
Last edited by Lorina on Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Using A Bell During Transitions

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:46 am

I don't think using a bell is that "wrong". I used to use a pack away song to encourage my toddlers to clean up, however for a "holistic approach" it's probably more supportive to remind the children that a transition will occur soon. Maybe incorporating something like "in 5 minutes when I ring the bell 4 times it's time to begin packing away", "when I ring the bell 2 times" please come and join me on the mat". Sometimes a gentle reminder, or using something like a bell or playing a piece of music can make transitions run more smoothly...

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:50 pm

FACEBOOK POST

We use a Tamborine and each day a new child gets the job of ringing the Tamborine. Works great for a smooth transition from outside to inside.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:51 pm

FACEBOOK POST

5 min warning bell and then packaway song works amazingly đź‘Ź smooth transition đź‘Ś

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:51 pm

FACEBOOK POST

We do the same. Giving the 5 minute warning helps children understand 'whats next' to support the transition. We then use a bell or tambourine after the 5 minutes as the cue for children to gather at the door to transition and the times ofcourse are flexible

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:52 pm

FACEBOOK POST

I use a Rainbow dancing ribbon to transition from spaces.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:53 pm

FACEBOOK POST

I used to use a bell in my kindy room but more as a focal point to grab their attention before I spoke the next instruction, transition etc

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:54 pm

FACEBOOK POST

We use a bell with our kinder group and our pre kinder group has a song they play. We have a very large yard and it would take forever to personally go up to each child especially on the long days with indoor outdoor programs 45 kinder and 33 prekinder sharing a yard. Our VIP children cherish the role of ringing the bell or carrying the speaker. It is especially effective for the additional need’s children. We also have a sound field system where we can make announcement over a speaker system inviting children to come inside for music, get active, steam groups etc… Everyone can hear while they are playing. This system work’s really well for us.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

We only use the bell to remind children to drink their water.

Lorina

FACEBOOK POST

First verbal communication, giving five minutes time before pack up then I use bell and pack up song that children enjoy for transitions like comingfrom outdoor to indoor, pack up time , group time etc . Children have positive responses to it and have changed the dynamic of the room .

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:55 pm

FACEBOOK POST

We give a verbal 5 minute prepare for tidy up, approaching all areas/groups, if it can be left for the next day or in the next play time, they can leave it, then we play a tidy up song. Has worked really well for some who aren't fans of finishing play. We did use a door bell at the start and the children responded well to that also.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:55 pm

FACEBOOK POST

A beautiful authentic handbell can be a really lovely way to signify an impending change in the rhythm of the day. Children can even take turns with this special job of ringing the bell. It would probably be a nice sound to hear under the chatter and joy of the play occurring. Instead of talking over the children.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:56 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Anything can be used to grasp their attention. Music, instruments, songs etc. As long as it's respectful and the children understand the purpose I dont see a problem

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:57 pm

FACEBOOK POST

We were assessed last week, we randomly use iPad timers with individual activities or for individual children to prepare for change. Never whole group. As the EL I was questioned about this with words being something along the lines of “so it’s not an alarm for all the children to break concentration and for the whole group to move on?” I answered no, and the assessor appeared relieved for my answer.

I would think about respecting children’s play. Interrupting in concentration, if a child is deep in engagement this could be quite startling. Are you respecting their work if they just need a few extra minutes to finish? Definitely consider Fiona’s comment above. Lots of reflective questions.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:58 pm

FACEBOOK POST

What is the purpose behind a bell?

Would it not be more respectful to the children to go up to them and advise them?
Will the ringing of the bell interrupt Children’s learning?
Have all parties been asked for their perspective?

Think about NQS Element 6.2.1
The guidance for meeting this element talks about strategies in place to ensure children are supported when transitioning between routines, observers would like to see children experiencing positive transitions

Also think about how ringing a bell meets individual needs, are there children who are sensitive to noise?

Will this remove the flexibility in the routine, and have the room running to a clock?
Will this allow for children's agency?
How old are the children?

If they are Kinder children and this is for school readiness, will it be all year or just at the end of the year
Just a few questions possibly worth critically reflecting on as a team.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:59 pm

FACEBOOK POST

- Secure, respectful, and reciprocal relationships: The use of a bell can disrupt the development of these relationships as it's an impersonal method of communication that doesn't promote interaction or understanding.

- Partnerships: Bells can create a sense of hierarchy, undermining the partnership between educators, children, and families.

- High expectations and equity: Bells may not cater to the individual needs of all children. Some may find the sound distressing or startling, which could negatively impact their learning experience.

- Respect for diversity: The use of a bell doesn't respect the diverse ways children learn or their different cultural backgrounds.

- Ongoing learning and reflective practice: Using a bell doesn't encourage children to take responsibility for their own transitions. It also doesn't promote reflective practice for educators, who should be considering the individual needs and responses of the children.
I hope these points help!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:00 pm

FACEBOOK POST

An alternative method could be using visual or auditory cues that are more child-centred and less disruptive. For example, you could use a song or a rhyme that the children are familiar with. This not only signals the transition but also provides an opportunity for children to participate in the process, promoting a sense of belonging and involvement.

Linking this to the EYLF:

- Secure, respectful, and reciprocal relationships: This method encourages interaction and understanding, fostering stronger relationships between educators and children.
- Partnerships: It promotes a more collaborative environment, reinforcing the partnership between educators, children, and families.

- High expectations and equity: It caters to the individual needs of all children, allowing them to transition at their own pace and in a way that's comfortable for them.

- Respect for diversity: It acknowledges the diverse ways children learn and allows for adaptations to cater to different cultural backgrounds.

- Ongoing learning and reflective practice: It encourages children to take responsibility for their own transitions and promotes reflective practice for educators.

I hope this helps!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:00 pm

FACEBOOK POST

agreedđź’–

We use a song twinkle twinkle little star and put in words depending on the transition. If it’s tiding up we say;

Twinkle twinkle little stars it’s time that we all tidy up, and keep rhyming our transition while we softly clap our hands. The children love this, they hear the song and begin to move to the centre of our circle while clapping, we all come together and finish the song, then we all go back and tidy up an area before coming back to circle and sit down with a final clap.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:01 pm

FACEBOOK POST

Using a bell isn’t a bad thing. It definitely beats raising your voice to get their attention.