Fears

Childcare room set-up ideas, strategies for teaching children, group times, Montessori teaching and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
auntieb

Fears

Post by auntieb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:30 pm

I know a 4 year-old who is afraid to try any new activity. How can I help?

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Fears

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Build her confidence by encouraging her and praising her when she does any activity. Sit with her and the new activity and you do it and ask her to join in, if she doesn't, say ok maybe another time don't push her. She obviously lacks confidence so build the trust and guide her and let her know she can do things and do them well. Some children are afraid of failure.

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:07 pm

I agree with fefe - also, if she is watching others doing an activity sit beside her and have a chat about what the children are doing, talk it through, ask if they would like to join in (even if it is parallel play). Find out her interests - if she likes Dora - incorporate that into the new play (take dora in the sandpit, try a dora puzzle etc) If she sees others doing something (and even making mistakes) that you could re-iterate that it is ok to make mistakes - even make some yourself, that might help

auntieb

Post by auntieb » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:43 pm

Thanks for the advice. This was already the approach but I wanted to be sure it was the right one. Once again than you. :

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:47 am

Just a quick one... how's it going with this child who is fearful to try new things? Did your approach work? Is she able to approach new activities and situations?

auntieb

Post by auntieb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 am

L.A wrote:Just a quick one... how's it going with this child who is fearful to try new things? Did your approach work? Is she able to approach new activities and situations?
It is an uphill climb but she is getting there.