Age of children moving from nursery to toddler room

Childcare room set-up ideas, strategies for teaching children, group times, Montessori teaching and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
muttley
Participator
Participator

Age of children moving from nursery to toddler room

Post by muttley » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Can anyone tell me please where to find information that is relevant to South Australia and at what age should children move from the nursery (0-2) to the toddler room (2-3)? If you can move them before they are two, do you need to get a form signed by the parents stating that they wish their child to be moved or can you move them with permission from the parents and with transition visits?If the child seems to be getting bored in the nursery, would it be wise to move them? Just curious.
Thanks.
:think: :?
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved

Lorina

Re: Age of children moving from nursery to toddler room

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:31 pm

From my experience once a child has turned 2 years of age then they are able to be moved up into the toddlers room. When you are ready for this transition to occur it's a good idea for the child to spend an hour or so (on the day that they attend) in the toddler room itself, to get use to routine, teachers, children etc. Talk to parents about the transition process, introduce them to the other staff in the toddler room, get the group leader to go through routine etc. As far as I know parent's aren't required to sign anything...

If you think a child is ready to be moved into the toddler room before they are 2, this depends on the ratio requirements. In the nursery the ratio is 1:5, however in the toddler room the ratio is 1:6. So, maybe if the child is under 24 months the ratio has to change within the toddler room to accommodate the child under 24 months.

In the past I've had 2 children under the age of 2 (20 months old) when they started, begin straight away in my toddler room. At the beginning it was a challenge however after a few weeks they settled in quite well even though they were younger than the others.

If you feel an older child is getting bored in the nursery, have a chat with the toddler room leader and get some ideas on activities she is providing to the group. Maybe you can incorporate some of these activities into the program itself. If you are within ratio and have an extra staff member, get them to spend some time in the toddler room with the older children from the nursery. Most of the time, a child may be getting bored because they are not stimulated enough...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Age of children moving from nursery to toddler room

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:26 pm

Usually I have found they move up by 2 ... so just under 2 to 2 yrs ...though in some cases I have had children who were further on developmentally than the rest moving up much sooner than their peers