Working during Covid - employer flexibility

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Bensos
Participator
Participator

Working during Covid - employer flexibility

Post by Bensos » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:35 pm

HI all - I need to vent and would love some feedback.

I work in a childcare centre owned by one of the larger companies.

When the Covid-19 thing started getting serious and numbers dropped we were pushed to use our annual and sick leave days up so that they didnt have as many staff in centre.

With the confirmation that children cant be in school I now need to look at home school options. Yes im in childcare and its an essential role - but one of my children has additional needs and cannot be in school without his aide. The school dont have an aide for him any more as she was a contract worker and they have let her go.

I asked my employer for some alternate work hours and gave options - working 5 days a week but only 12-6 - so still doing all my hours. Switching from the centre close (9.30-6) to the centre open (6-2.30) So i can at least have a little time in the afternoon for schooling.

My employer has basically said no to everything ("you're essential staff so you have to send your kids to school")- Im stuck with a shift that means I am out of the house all day, every day. I have no leave left to take because i've been made to take it all. I dont want to quit but feel I am being pushed towards it.

Should my sons aditional needs requirements be taken in to consideration? My primary job is as a parent to my own kids.

Im frustrated and furious. ANd have been told "employee relations" will consider my request but probably turn it down.
:-(

Lorina

Re: Working during Covid - employer flexibility

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:07 pm

Absolutely ridiculous!!

You being a parent to your child is the number 1 priority! Especially since you have a child with additional needs.

I think some employers are using this pandemic as an excuse for unethical practices as I've been informed of other stories employers have resorted to using coronavirus as why things are happening at the service.

Anyway, since numbers are low and even if not you have given alternative options to try and work around your needs as well as the services. It's completely unfair your request has been disregarded.

Since you are working in a larger chain, can you contact HR directly or an area manger to get this issue sorted?

It's already stressful enough now you have another worry.

Let me know how it goes!

:geek:,
Lorina

Amy78

Re: Working during Covid - employer flexibility

Post by Amy78 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:24 pm

Wow that's ridiculous. And cruel. There seems to be a staggering lack of compassion coming from providers.
I have a high risk family member that I live with. I chose to take long service leave before the jobkeeper package was announced to help keep them safe. The employer is now telling me I'm ineligible for jobkeeper unless I return to work immediately. I have read a lot about jobkeeper & people on leave ARE eligible, but they don't believe me. There are few chn attending & the service is overstaffed without me there. Only other option is when my leave runs out they will give me separation letter so that I can get jobseeker. So I really have no option but to go back.

Would love to hear other peoples stories , good or bad !