Unmotivated Staff

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Pip

Unmotivated Staff

Post by Pip » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi, I have recently taken over ownership of a centre and have concerns for one of my Qualified GL's.
She is older and although qualified 5 years ago, finding it difficult to adapt to all the industry changes.
She is well behind the other staff and is not moving forward with motivation or team work.
She has admitted to me on several occasions during one on one discussions that she is not enjoying her position and child care in general. These discussions are always triggered by her verbally attacking me or the centre over industry changes and the child care award neither of which I devised!!
My question is " How do I encourage her to resign, or on what grounds can I terminate?"
She has used the union as a threat on several occasions and although I am not worried about the union and know I am doing the right thing by her and the centre, I don't appreciate the threat as though I am.
Has someone else had experience with a staff member coming in each day to just get paid and how did you deal with it?
HELP!!

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Unmotivated Staff

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:53 pm

Pip - what a difficult situation to face. I do not have any idea what you could do apart from sit down and put all your cards on the table saying clearly you are trying to do the right thing by all your staff but you do not appreciate being threatened, also that all the things that are bothering her are not things you have put in place and all the staff are having to manage and get used to it, not just her.
Put the ball in her court "what do you think we can do to help you?" and see what she says, since she is admitting she is not enjoying her position maybe suggest some time off to take a break and think about if this is something she wants to continue doing.
Sorry can't help more than that

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi Pip
Just wondering if this staff member has any holidays due. Perhaps some leave for her to give her time to reflect on what she really wants would be a good idea.
Horrible position for you to be in & for the rest of the staff because it sounds like she makes it very clear that being there is not what she wants.
Time off might just help her clarify what she really wants - and gives you guys some breathing space too.
Cathiek

Pip

Post by Pip » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:42 am

Thanks for the replies. I haven't yet offered her any leave, so maybe I could give that a go for her to reflect.
I used to work for a larger company and know they are looking for qualified educators often and even offered to speak with contacts to get her a part time - non programming position without luck. This way she has less responsibility.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:59 pm

I agree with what the others have already commented to you about giving this particular staff member an opportunity to find out what she wants for herself. If she is finding it more difficult to cope then maybe offer her part time position or less hours. A holidays sounds like a good idea and during this time, this staff member can determine what she wants to do.

Pip, you are in charge of the centre and you have no right to be threatened in anyway just because this staff member is finding this industry difficult. Times have changed and with that, people have to change their ways and like you said it's not your fault. You need to let this staff member know that her behavior and attitude is not acceptable for the overall work environment and that she will have to consider her priorities. Whether she likes it or not, you are in charge!

So, she threatened with going to the "union". Is the union going to support a childcare professional with this attitude and unethical behavior at your centre? Argh! It frustrates me that those who shouldn't even be working in childcare always threaten with the "union" to cover their backs.

Anyways, it's a hard situation you're in but I guess you just have to tell her that she better change her attitude and her behavior otherwise you may have no choice... harsh as it may seem but sometimes it has to be done!