room leader trouble

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

room leader trouble

Post by catchmeifucan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:29 pm

Hi,

I have been at my center for awhile now and I work in the preschool room.

Recently a new room leader has been employed (well 4 months ago) and she just drives me insane!! I just don't know what to do... She is great with the kids and all but the whole "school readiness" and "teaching" is just not happening. For instance, programming is just done and not followed through, the kids are given stencils to colour in and then i have to cut them out...isn't it part of learning that the child cuts things out. We don't have playdough or any manipulation activities for the kids. The kids get bored so easily then they muck around and fight making my day a nightmare...

What can I do... I'm seriously concerned 4 months already wasted...how many more? Any suggestions would be a great help!

Lorina

Re: room leader trouble

Post by Lorina » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi Catchmeifucan,

Well it sure sounds like u should have been given the role as "room leader". Have you spoken to the room leader about it? I understand it is sometimes difficult to discuss concerns with someone depending on how they would take it... Unfortunately this is a common problem just because someone holds a diploma doesn't mean they are great at what they do...too bad for the kids!! Maybe you could give little suggestions to the room leader during the day...For example you could suggest that the children could cut things out instead. You could even make some play dough yourself and just add it in an area for the children to manipulate...

You definitely should discuss this issue with your director. Your director has a right to know what is going on when there not around.

When you discuss this with your director provide her with examples of what needs to be improved. Show your director the program and explain what is really happening.

Tell your ideas to your director about a preschool curriculum and show her some examples of some work the children could be doing. Such as writing letters and numbers, learning to write their own name. You could even get a work book for each of the preschool children that they could do preschool work in.

Discuss this with your director or more importantly with your room leader.

Your room leader probably hasn't got a clear understanding of the style of programming and planning that they use at your center.

Hope this helps...

Lorina

Re: room leader trouble

Post by Lorina » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi Catchmeifucan,

I hope everything is going well at your centre. The preschool room is such an important phase to a child. It prepares a child for what is ahead...school. I hope your concerns have been heard and resolved.

Please read the Resources below that are available on our site, which may benefit you:

1) Building Positive Relationships in Child Care

2) School Readiness Program

3) Development of Preschoolers 3–4 year old

4) Preschoolers Milestones 4–5 years

5) Preparing your Child ready for School

The above articles are available on our Articles page.

Wish you the best :mrgreen: !