Nappy Changing In An OOSH Centre

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Ashleekate88

Nappy Changing In An OOSH Centre

Post by Ashleekate88 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:13 pm

I work in an ooshc and hold my certificate III in early childhood education and care. Today I was informed that I am the only one who is qualified to change nappies so all future nappy changes will be mine to do. We have a child with a severe disability who must be changed and I while I do not mind changing nappies as it is part of my job I find it unfair that the entire responsibility is up to me from now on. Am I write in feeling that this is quite unfair and nappy changing should be a team responsibility?

Lorina

Re: Nappy Changing In An OOSH Centre

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:51 pm

You're right it is a team responsibility to change nappies and it's unfair that you were made the sole responsibility to do so. However, since it is only one child maybe that's why it was given to you to do. Are you with this child when they are at the centre? Do you take it in turns to look after this child? How many times during the afternoon do you have to change this child's nappy? I know it seems unfair but another way of looking at is maybe the director just thought it is more appropriate for one educator to change this child rather than someone new each time...

:geek:,
Lorina

indego
Participator
Participator

Re: Nappy Changing In An OOSH Centre

Post by indego » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:39 pm

By the "only one qualified to change nappies" do they mean you have the highest qual, or that you're the only one that's got a 'child care' qualification?

I used to run an independent service, and we occasionally cared for a boy with cerebral palsy who was still in nappies. I took the role on myself, as I felt consistency was the most important thing for him. Plus he was getting old enough that he felt the need for a bit of privacy, and having just one Educator taking on the role meant that he wouldn't get as embarrassed as he would if everyone was involved.
As this would happen at most once a shift, it wasn't that much of a burden.

I also took on responsibility for the kids that had accidents and needed help cleaning up. I figured that this way I knew it was done with respect and none of my male staff would be put in an awkward situation. (I HATE that I had to think about that, but the harsh truth is not all parents are happy with men helping with toileting.)

If you have the highest quals, however, that raises a few concerns as there should be diploma qualified or higher Educator for every 30 students.