Kindy/Prew school bags

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
iyaree

Kindy/Prew school bags

Post by iyaree » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:49 pm

I was wondering where in the centre your Kindy/pre school children keep their bags?
My centre used to have them in the room but now they are out in the hall - which children can only access with staff opening the door and supervising. I do not agree that children of this age can not have access to their own property through the day and i would think that it goes against the "belonging" concept?
Also would it not create more hassle, as children take jackets/shoes on and off through the day etc, limiting older childrens self help skills, taking staff off the floor to supervise going out into the hall, and possibly contribute to more lost property?
Any thoughts would be great - for or against as I would like to see from all points of views.
Thank you

Lorina

Re: Kindy/Prew school bags

Post by Lorina » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:50 pm

I agree with you, preschool children should be able to access their bags easily... At past centres we have had bag cubby's inside the room itself. It takes up a little bit of room but it's necessary for the children. At another centre we had steel hooks inside the room to hang the bags along the wall...

Have you thought about having cubbys inside the room itself?

:geek:,
L.A

iyaree

Post by iyaree » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks for the reply L.A
There actually did used to be cubbys and hooks for bags since the centre opened, but with the new framework and room set up , some staff believe they need more room to make it work - which is why they have moved the bags out to the hall.
To me they dont take up too much room and it is good for the children and for the parents - the positives of having them in the room out way the negatives - also there are negatives having the out in the hall.
i guess its now trying to make it work and how to set up the room - which is a dilemma in itself as its a walk through room, with many doors and windows....and trying to set up areas is a little tricky. (maybe i will have to start a new thread!)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:36 am

Maybe you can use the cubbies as part of the room layout itself, such as as a divider of some sort. That's if they are strong enough without having to be nailed in the wall or something... You should bring this issue up at the staff meeting and see if anyone else agrees with you. Just because of the new framework, doesn't mean we have to inconvenience the children and parents, like you said it's part of belonging....

If you need new ideas for a room setup, please do start a new thread you may get some ideas that you haven't tried...

:geek:,
L.A