Cleaning Sandpits

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
smilingok
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Cleaning Sandpits

Post by smilingok » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:03 am

I currently work in a LDC, where I am a staff member, the issue of cleaning sandpits has arisen, the current policy at our centre is that a brand of liquid chemicals is applied on a Friday evening using a watering can, the other staff believe that because it has always been done that way that we should continue. I believe that we should be looking at providing a chemical free environment where possible and so I asked the man who supplied the sand and was told that buying a bag of salt from a pool shop and watering that into the sandpit was sufficient. I can find little or no government regulations on the cleaning and maintenance of sandpits and wonder if anyone out there can assist me. I have read where sunlight and good drainage with the sand being raked twice a day is sufficient.

Lorina

Re: Cleaning Sandpits

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:59 pm

I checked out the Occupational Health and Safety policies for LDC and in regards to sandpits it says:
Sandpits - cover when not in use, regularly clean, rake, and remove sand soiled by faeces or blood. Hose sandpits at end of day after removing contaminated sand and material.

Hopefully this helps answer your question,

:geek:,
L.A