Accreditation Concerns & Questions For LDC

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
helana4
Participator
Participator

Accreditation Concerns & Questions For LDC

Post by helana4 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:08 pm

Hi everyone,

We have accreditation coming up very soon and I have got some last minute concerns, that I have only just thought of.

We have been told that we have to keep to the ratios eg: 20 kids in the kinder room and 2 staff and that we can't leave the room and if we need anything we need to call the office or we have to bring children with us, to keep it within the ratio.

When we have sleep time and if the children want to sleep, we obviously have to put sleep nappy's on. We have no nappy changing facilities (as we are 3-5 end), so I thought that I would have to take the sleeping children to the 0-2 end (where there are nappy changing facilities), but I have realised this may not keep us within the ratio. We have a nappy changing mat in our bathroom at the 3-5 end but have to use it by putting it on the floor. Are we able to do this during accreditation?

Also, do we have to do the full nappy changing procedure when doing sleep nappies? Eg: Washing hands, gloves, paper on the mat etc.

Thanks a lot!
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited, topic moved from Career In Child Care discussion

Lorina

Re: ACCREDITATION LONG DAY CARE PLEASE HELP!

Post by Lorina » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:24 pm

During accreditation you will need to make sure that you stay within ratio at all times. Yes, it is better to call the office or take children with you if you need anything. However, if there are only 2 staff in the room you won't be able to take 10 children with you to keep within ratio... If there is a spare staff member ask them to come into the room while you're getting what you need.

At sleep time I think it will be best to take those who were sleep nappies into the 0-2 end put nappies on them and then take them back to the 3 -5 end for sleep to time. You may require an extra staff member at this time to help you out. 2 staff to stay with children and one to put the sleep nappies on...

I don't think it is a good idea to place the nappy change mat on the floor and please don't do it during accreditation. I think you will definitely get pulled up on that if you owners to do it, so best not toand yes you are required to do the full nappy procedure.

Good Luck and let me know how it goes,

:geek:,
L.A

helana4
Participator
Participator

Re: Accreditation Concerns & Questions For LDC

Post by helana4 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks for the responses.

L.A re: sleep nappies and mats on the floor- that's what I thought. When I asked my boss about the mat on the floor, she said that ok. I thought that was wrong too.

Apparently there will be extra staff, so it should be ok.

I have been going through the nappy changing procedure to get it right (as I dont really change a lot of nappies for the older kids), it says to take the dirty nappy off and put it in a plastic bag. Stupid question but what does that mean? Put it in a plastic bag and then in the hands free bin? On a normal day we either put it in a plastic bag and take it straight out to the dumpster or put it in the bin and they are emptied during the day.

Thanks again- will be sure to post how it all went, questions asked etc.