18 place centre room configuration

Questions relating to staff, dealing with parents, work ethics, implementing regulations, room management, supporting team members, motivating staff, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
krystal schmidt

18 place centre room configuration

Post by krystal schmidt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:33 pm

Hi Everyone

We are a newly opened one room 18 place centre which caters for children aged 6 weeks to 5 years. Just wondering if there is anyone out there who is in a similar situation. We have been open or 7 months ow and feel like we keep hitting dead ends with trying to figure out documentation, grouping etc. Currently we have split the group into two groups 0-2 and 2-5. We have found that this works but as we are all in the one room, I am looking for people's opinions on room set up, educational experiences which all ages can participate in without being dangerous or inappropriate, yet still providing high expectations and activities which test skills etc especially for the 2-5 year olds.

We all come from large Centres with the typical age grouped rooms.

I would love to hear from anyone in the same situation or anyone with ideas that may help.

Lorina

Re: 18 place centre room configuration

Post by Lorina » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:27 am

Hi Krystal, :wave:

Splitting the children into two different groups is a good idea... How many staff each day?

When setting the room up you should do it based on interest areas just because it works well with all age groups and it's easy to maintain. Once interest areas have been established you can go about setting up experiences within each of the areas to benefit the mixed age groups. For example: in "Puzzle Play" you can provide a shelf for a variety of puzzles for all children. Top shelf can have the difficult ones and the bottom shelf can have easier ones. You can also encourage the older children to help the younger ones complete puzzles.

Here is some more info on Interest Areas (available in our Wiki ---> Childcare Articles):

Interest Areas In Childcare
Childcare Room Setup

In regards to what experiences to provide it's important to have open ended materials in each of the areas. This enables all children to have an opportunity to freely explore their ideas and thinking. Also it's suitable for all ages. You will also notice distinct differences in how a toddler will use these items compared to a preschooler for example. Some open ended materials include:

Cardboard tubes
Shoelaces
Styrofoam packing
Wood scraps
Yarn
Metal juice can lids
Paint-watercolour, tempera, acrylic
Jewels from old lamps and chandeliers
Clay
Old costume jewellery
Sand
Wine corks and the list can go on and on and on....

When doing group times I think it's important to split the group once again from the 2-5 year olds, if this is possible. You can do 1 group time for 2 - 3 year olds then another for 3 - 5 year olds. Just so you can have a longer group time, have group discussions, read longer stories, do science experiments, play games suitable for this age group. Have some staff take the younger ones outside then the older ones can have their group time or even participate in some activities without the younger ones around. For example: within the routine if the children are outside from 9 to 11 from 10 - 11 the older ones can be inside before the little ones join in. Also with art experiences they will be different a well. You can break it up. The younger ones can do art in the morning and in the afternoon when the younger children are sleeping the older ones can do theirs.

They're just a few ideas that have worked in the past. You just have to find a balance but it will get better once you have everything established and routines etc working well...

I'm adding some more info which may help as well:

Working With Mixed Age Groups
Caring For Children - Mixed Age Groups
Mixed Age Groups

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

krystal schmidt

Post by krystal schmidt » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:56 pm

Thank you lorina. Some great ideas that we will definitely put into practice. We generally have 5 or 6 staff per day, so we are very much overstuffed which is another thing to get used too. A great company that really puts the needs and interests of the children first :). There are some great resources on this site as well. I am feeling much more confident with some fresh thoughts and ideas. Once again thank you :)

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:04 pm

I don’t work with mixed age groups but I think it’s good when kids of different ages get together. Older ones looking after younger ones and younger ones learning from older ones. I got some ideas on how kids of different ages can get along:

-- you can praise the kids for being helpful or kind to one another

-- be aware of each kids developmental stage

-- dont punish toddlers or older kids for disturbing younger ones. Make it a teachable moment. Just try and explain the possible consequences of their actions and redirect the behaviour

-- involve the older kids in the care of younger ones

-- take photos of the kids playing together, then talk about these when you show all the photos

-- give all kids a chore or task to have a sense of importance. Toddlers can water a plant or put napkins on the table.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:20 am

in Montessori mixed age groups is common, we teach the older children to support the learning of the younger ones
activities are such that they appeal to the younger ones and older ones, if you have the staff plan group experiences and have an indoor outdoor program where children can move from inside to outside throughout the day

http://www.internationalschool.info/the ... ontessori/
http://www.blog.montessoriforeveryone.c ... roups.html
http://www.forsmallhands.com/newsletter ... tail?id=39