Ruptured cyst & fibroid degeneration during pregnancy. 

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Ruptured cyst & fibroid degeneration during pregnancy. 

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:09 pm

I am writing this post looking for some reassurance from someone who had experienced these since it has been a tough month for me....

I am now 24 weeks pregnant and its my first. During the early stages of my pregnancy, the doctors found a 12 cm cyst in my ovary. A couple of weeks ago this cyst ruptured causing the fluid from it to spread inside my body, causing me to have severe period pain like cramps, shoulder pain and body aches. I have been taking it very easy since then and recently been feeling a little better. I was told that it will take a few weeks for my body to absorb the fluids and until then this pain will be there.

Early yesterday morning I began having sharp stabbing like pains in my lower right abdomen. This pain was unlike I had experienced before. After an ultrasound they noticed that the fibroids ( which only had been detected recently) are also degenerating which is causing this pain.  I can't walk straight, it's very painful and can't move much. 

So for the past 3 weeks I have been dealing with a ruptured cyst first and then the fibroids are now degenerating too.. 

Has anyone else been through either of these problems during their pregnancy? 

How long am I going to be in pain for? 

Just need some reassurance that everything is going to be alright! 

- L.A

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Re: Ruptured cyst & fibroid degeneration during pregnancy. 

Post by cathiek » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:45 pm

L.A, I am so sorry to hear things are still not going well for you.
I have not suffered from either cysts or fibroids, so I have no real advice for you other than to say rest, take your time and do as the docs tell you. Are you allowed to take any pain killers?

I know this might sound silly but will a heat pack/cold pack help at all? I hope they are going to do regular ultrasounds on you to see how things are going.

You take care and look after yourself.
Sending heaps of positive thoughts your way xx
:wave:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:56 am

Hi CathieK,

Still resting up and dealing with the pain... The pain isn't constant anymore however when walking, sitting, moving, toileting it pulls my lower abdomen where it hurts. I'm also still continually throwing up at night and that really hurts it! I am now taking double dose of iron tablets because my iron is extremely low (9), which is causing me to throw up.

The nurses at the hospital wanted to give me an injection to help deal with the pain but I refused. The last time they gave it to me for my ruptured cyst it caused me to be extremely drowsy and I didn't feel my baby move for over a day so Im not putting my baby through it. I am taking paracetamol but sparingly I would rather just deal with it than take drugs each time something hurts.

I am using a hot water bottle but I have to use it on/off. The position of my baby bottom, feet, hand is at times ontop of the fibroids and I read that using a hot water bottle could heat up the baby in the uterus so I'm not taking any chances.

My baby is doing very well... Growing as per development and is moving and kicking constantly.. As long as my baby is safe and healthy that's all I care about. Only 3 more months to go and hopefully this is the last thing that could possibly go wrong before my little one arrives! I would rather go through all this now than when the baby arrives...

:geek:,
L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi l.a, I am very sorry to hear that you are experiencing one thing after another. It does sound very painful. I really do hope you get well soon. Unfortunately I haven't got any advise for you since I haven't experienced them. But like CathieK said, take plenty of rest and try and take it easy. I can only imagine your pain you are going through and I hope you get better soon. My thoughts are with you... *hugs*

KatG73

Post by KatG73 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi L.A, I am sorry to hear what you are going through. I had fibroids too during my pregnancy but it then went away after my pregnancy. I never had the degeneration so didnt really experience any pain luckily. My friend had a problem similar to yours and she said it was really painful. It was so painful that it was even hard to move, sit, sleep, eat or do anything. The pain later when away after a few weeks and until then she was on pain killers. Her labour was normal without any problem. So dont worry. You will forget all pain when you see your little one in the end. Take care and look after yourself!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:35 am

Hey Nat and Kat,

Thanks for your support!

I went and had a follow up scan this week and the 3 fibroid's are still visible, that haven't gone smaller and they haven't enlarged they are still the same. the only difference is they have moved position. They are all still on the right side, two are on the far right of my stomach and the other is just above my abdomen. Since my uterus and baby is growing they are getting pushed around. Luckily the pain has reduced so I'm feeling a lot better than before.

My doctor said that typically with fibroids they enlarge during pregnancy and then after pregnancy go back to the original size. If they reach over 5cm then they will have to be surgically removed. So, 3 months after delivery we have to reassess them.

My cyst has gone down to 4cm from 12 cm. All the fluid has been absorbed into my body but there is a little fluid still inside the cyst. This shouldn't cause any harm to my baby and I. Once again, 3 months after delivery we will have to reassess to see if it needs to be removed.

So the big question still remains whether or not I will require surgery after delivery. My doctor said that if I have a cesarean then during this time all of this can be removed but if i have a normal delivery then we have to wait. I'm not too sure whether or not I'm going to be having a cesarean. My doctor mentioned that it's most likely I'll have a normal delivery until it's a last option that I have to go for a caesarean... I'll guess we will just have to wait to see what happens!

All in all, this past week I have been feeling much better! YAY!

:geek:,
L.A

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:58 pm

Glad to hear you are feeling better LA. Not too long to go now and your beautiful bubs will be here.
Enjoy the last few months of your pregnancy - hopefully no more pain.
Cathiek :thumbup: