High turnover in childcare - what are the reasons?

Parenting FAQs, parenting issues & concerns, dealing with behaviour problems, disciplining children, sleeping problems, teaching children, pregnancy and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Liz85

High turnover in childcare - what are the reasons?

Post by Liz85 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm really frustrated with the childcare my daughter attends (20months) - she's been there for 3 months and at first it seemed like the ideal place - there were many educators and when I spoke with them they were all there for over a year (the childcare itself has been opened for 2 years).

However, slowly slowly they've all seemed to be leaving (I assume quitting rather than being fired - I know of at least 2 that quit and they were really good educators - but no one tells us parents anything they're just not there the next day). There was a new Team Leader who left after 3 weeks...

I don't know what's going on - I don't think it's bad educators because almost everyone is new - there are about 3 who remained and they are nice (one is part time).

I guess I came to this site to read some feedback why educators quit - it's so frustrating cause my daughter would get comfortable with the educator and then they're gone :think:

At the moment we got a new educator and I'm really happy because my daughter is really happy with her but I'm worried that she'll leave too.

I should just find a new centre I guess...

Lorina

Re: High turnover in childcare - what are the reasons?

Post by Lorina » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi!

As a parent I can understand how frustrating it can be for your child's educator to suddenly quit. Especially after you and your child both felt comfortable with them.

There are a lot of things that happen behind the scenes that goes on at a centres such as disagreements between staff and management, issues over pay, educators found a better position else where, another centre offering more pay... all kinds of reasons... also being able fairly new centre as well you will find that it will take time for educators to settle down...

Centres that have been opened longer for example 5 years or more they have less of a staff turn over rate... but in this industry it's common to have educators frequently leaving... as long as your child is comfortable with the educator I wouldn't worry... you can't keep changing centres as well...

See how it goes...

:geek:,
Lorina

jess60

Hi Lorina how do I contact you?

Post by jess60 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:10 pm

I want to ask a couple of questions . Haven’t used this for a while.