Using Dried Pasta For Activities

Kids Activities, Art and Crafts, Cooking Ideas, Kids Songs and Games related discussions.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
muttley
Participator
Participator

Using Dried Pasta For Activities

Post by muttley » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:53 am

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could tell me if we can use dried pasta shapes in a room that has 2 - 5 year olds to make a necklace? The pasta will be just the plain uncooked variety. I had been told that we couldn't use it but I can't remember why.

Thanks.
:think: :?

rsvnyn
Participator
Participator

Re: Use of dried pasta shapes

Post by rsvnyn » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi muttley

I am a placement student doing my diploma. For one of my project display for language development I used spiral pasta for the texture. The room leader said it was very good but now it is considered as wasting our food while some people are starving without getting food so she suggested me to use some natural materials like pine corns gum nuts etc...hope this helps!!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:07 pm

I'm sure many educators have a different opinion on whether or not "food" should be incorporated into different experiences during their play. There is nothing in the regulations about whether or not foods can be used for play however I think it just comes down to your own beliefs and personal ethics.

Funnily enough, this topic about using foods have come up in the forum before so I am providing you with the link so you can read the responses from there as well. There is also an attachment worth reading:

CHCFC508A - Should Food Be Used In Art Experiences?

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:22 pm

For me, I believe for children to learn about food – they need an opportunity to explore it, feel it, taste it, smell it, and even play with it.

Esther_te82

Post by Esther_te82 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:29 pm

I see what you're saying, Lorina, but I personally see nothing wrong in allowing kids to play with food.

kiaraharper

Re: Using Dried Pasta For Activities

Post by kiaraharper » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:28 pm

Well I have heard that letting kids play with food makes them insensitive towards food and they start wasting food. I however differ to this point. I feel that in order to let kids love food and understand its importance, we have to let them play with it as well.

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:45 pm

I agree, how on earth did the rest of ever survive? We all played with it when we were younger, made pasta necklaces and we managed just fine.... its bureaucracy going crazy and people in higher places with far too much time on their hands... :giggle: let the kids be kids, who doesn't love pasta activities?
Linsaa fdc :wave:

Nandy84
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nandy84 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:34 pm

vofehic26

Post by vofehic26 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:07 am

catchmeifucan wrote:
Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:22 pm
For me, I believe for children to learn about food – they need an opportunity to explore it, feel it, taste it, smell it, and even play with it.
Absolutely right. I agree with you