Strawberry Shortcakes (Dairy-Free, Egg-free, Vegan)

Kids Activities, Art and Crafts, Cooking Ideas, Kids Songs and Games related discussions.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steffelz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:12 pm

I needed to plan a food activity, to cook with a class that included a child who is lactose intolerant. I found this yummy looking recipe for strawberry shortcakes (I'll soon discover if they taste as good as they look) I thought Id share it on here before I forget. Ill have to update the post when Ive done my test batch :)

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:

About 3 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and cut into halves
¼ cup and 2 T. white sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup and 2 T. white sugar
2 ½ t. baking powder
¼ t. salt
6 T. dairy-free soy margarine, cut into pieces
½ cup unsweetened plain almond milk, soymilk or rice milk
Dairy-Free Vanilla Ice Cream, either store-bought or homemade
Preparation:

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment and set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, toss the strawberries with the 2 T. sugar until well coated. Cover and place in the refrigerator for about 20-30 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, make the biscuits. In a food processor, mix together the remaining ¼ cup sugar, flour, baking powder and salt until well-mixed. Add the dairy-free soy margarine, pulsing until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. With the machine still running, add the non-dairy milk alternative gradually, until the dough just begins to hold together and pull away from the sides of the bowl.

3. On a lightly floured surface, turn out the dough and pat into 8 small round biscuits. Transfer the biscuits to the prepared baking sheet, sprinkle lightly with sugar, and bake about 18-22 minutes, or until golden. Allow the biscuits to cool on the baking sheet. To serve, place two biscuits on each plate with a scoop of dairy-free vanilla ice cream and a helping of the sugared strawberries.

Albien

Re: Strawberry Shortcakes (Dairy-Free, Egg-free, Vegan)

Post by Albien » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi Steffelz,
Great strawberry shortcakes recipe and as fresh strawberries are available in market and the preparation time is only 35 minutes so will definitely try your strawberry shortcakes recipe. Keep sharing healthy and tasty recipes!