Halloween Activities

Kids Activities, Art and Crafts, Cooking Ideas, Kids Songs and Games related discussions.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Halloween Activities

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask if anyone is celebrating Halloween? It's such a big day for Americans and do others follow this as well?

I have never really gotten into the spirit of Halloween and only one centre in the past had a Halloween Day where the children got to dress up. Also with trick or treating I know of one suburb that the parents take their child around each house to collect their treats.. Other than this, haven't seen much...

Share your thoughts!

:geek:,
L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: Anyone celebrating Halloween

Post by catchmeifucan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:45 pm

Im doing Halloween this year. Both staff and children are dressing up for the day. Then doing halloween crafts. :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Who are you dressing up as?

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:04 am

We have decided not to do Halloween this year as last year we had parents complaining that it is an American tradition, not Australian. We also got complaints from parents that it is too scary for the children. One of the teachers dressed up as a witch and the parents complained about that as well, so it is all too hard!

Jules

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:18 pm

I'm dressing up as Princess Jasmine from Aladdin. Most of the staff are dressing up as a Disney character that is well known to the children. I agree with JNP. sometimes dressing up as witch, etc.. can be scary for young children. During our staff meeting we were specifically told not to dress up in scary outfits. Our choice of dress up should be appropriate to wear in front of families. In America, Halloween is obviously full on and meant to be fun & scary but at our centre we are making it fun and eliminating the scary element from it. One of the reasons why we decided to celebrate Halloween is cuz one of the mum's is an American so it's a part of her tradition that she wanted the centre to incorporate into the program. Should be fun!

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Dressing up as a Disney character sounds like fun! Also incorporating the American mum's tradition is a great idea and it supports the EYLF. I hope you have a great day.

Jules.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:18 pm

Had such a great Halloween at my centre. The children dressed as Pirates, Ben 10, Cowboys, Kings, Fairies and Princess.We had a disco and put on a dress up parade. The older children made cupcakes for everyone and we even gave the children "treat bags" as they left. It had a pack of tiny teddies, gummy bears and a sheet of stickers each. Lovely day and a nice way to celebrate Halloween!

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Wow! That sounds like great fun. I'm glad you had a lovely day.

Jules.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Thanks Jules. :)

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:22 pm

We don't celebrate it in my Kindy class but I was really surprised this year with the amount of my Kindy kids who went trick or treating or to Halloween parties. Way more than in previous years, and then, lucky me, I got to deal with the sugar rush/let-down the next day :)
Cathiek

Angel mist

Post by Angel mist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:15 am

Hi,
Thought that I would participate with this Topic, though a bit late, lol.
Our Centre celebrated a week of Halloween, decorating our rooms but nothing too scary.
We set up Art activities as well.
We all dressed up in a variety of Costumes, of course appropriate for the Children's ages and taking into account their feelings associated with this.
The main clothing worn by Staff was tastefully selected and mindful of the children involved.
Though most of us believe it to be an American tradition we participated to support our centre.
I myself only wore black clothes with a bit extra.
Not sure though if the Centre will be participating next year though due to a few Families comments.
But was fun and a bit of a change to the usual day in the Childcare Centre.
The Children were actually excited to watch who was coming through the door and trying to figure out who was behind the costume, looking forward to their friends arriving too.
We even had a few Parents arriving in Costume as well, so perfect for parental input and we all loved the thought behind that.

Many thanks..

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:11 pm

Angel mist wrote:Not sure though if the Centre will be participating next year though due to a few Families comments
Were some families against Halloween celebrations?

Even though Halloween is an American tradition, shouldn't it be celebrated as part of cultural diversity? At centres a lot of other cultural festivities are celebrated so why not Halloween? Does anyone know what Halloween is all about beside dressing up, getting lollies and being scary? Maybe if we understand it then we know why we should celebrate it.

I don't think it's fair to discard it all together though. Who knows maybe in America they celebrate Australia Day at their centres! :giggle:

:geek:,
L.A