Making claim to Fair Works

You may use this forum for all general discussions on topics that are not covered in the above forums..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:12 am

Making claim to Fair Works

Post by wlgid842 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:17 pm

Hi there, I have worked in the childcare care about 1 year in 2017 and I have a question about my wage.

I was employed as a permanent part time educator (worked 37.5 hours per week) with my qualification of Diploma in Childhood education and care.
While I was working in there, I paid $21.29 per hour and Classification was CSE Level 3.1 on the payslip.
They explained me because I am not working as a room leader so they can't pay me as diploma qualified.

Is this right rate and legal? If not, can I make a claim to Fair Work now? I was worked in that childcare centre from Feb 2017 to Dec 2017.
I have all the payslips from the centre.
I am not a Permanent Resident so can I still make a claim?

The reason I make this question now is because after that I have got a job in the new centre and classification is CS Level 3.4.
The only thing that is different between the pervious centre and the new centre is working hours. (Previous centre was permanent part time 37.5 per week and new centre is permanent full time.)

Thank you for all your helps.

User avatar
Posts: 13122
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 am

Re: Making claim to Fair Works

Post by Lorina » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Even if you are employed as an assistant if you have your Diploma Qualification you should be paid at a minimum Level 3.4. A room leader with a Diploma qualification starts at Level 4.1. You have been paid as a cert 3 qualified educator.

Before you make a claim to Fair Work, I would recommend you send an email/letter to your former employer regarding this issue. If they don't respond etc. then you can take it to Fair Work etc. but you need to make the first step of informing your previous employer that you noticed that you have not been paid correctly.

Let me know if you have any further questions, happy to help!


Post Reply