kids with cross dominant hands

You may use this forum for all general discussions on topics that are not covered in the above forums..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
firsttimemum

kids with cross dominant hands

Post by firsttimemum » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:01 pm

Hi everyone.

I am new to this site. just try to get some advice from whoever have the same situation like us.

My daughter is 5, just last night, I realised that 'she is not right handed nor left handed, she is cross-dominant'. She uses her right hand to write and left hand for scissors and playing tennis.

I understand that children in her age have not developed their fine motor skills fully, that is why I need to encourage her to practise more. But how do I know which hands she should use?... Google said that they might use one hand for one task and the other hands for others. I am really confused....

Other then let her use whatever she wants, anything else I should be more award of in terms of her brain development?

thanks

Lorina

Re: kids with cross dominant hands

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:01 pm

Hi,

My daughter is 6 years old and she uses both of her hands depending on the activity. She writes with her right but also uses her left hand for some tasks as well.

At this stage, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as they are comfortable with what they are doing then it should be fine. They are still quite young and will adjust to whichever hand is most comfortable for them to use for the task at hand.

:geek:,
Lorina