Allergy info on this site

You may use this forum for all general discussions on topics that are not covered in the above forums..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Jen1

Allergy info on this site

Post by Jen1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:24 am

I, firstly, thank you for your site, it's so useful to me in my work.
Just checked in on the allergy info provided here, as my daughter has a severe allergy to dairy, requiring epipens. I was quite concerned to see that, as is often the case, peanuts were considered to be the only food capable of causing anaphylaxis. I just can't stress enough how untrue this is, and what a dangerous mind-set it is to think other food allergies just cause a bit of tummy upset, rash etc. ANY food has the potential to cause anaphylaxis if the person has an ige mediated allergy to it, and unfortunately this is becoming all too common these days.
So while it is true that peanuts/tree nuts are the cause of the majority of fatal anaphylactic cases, they are most certainly not the only ones. I know that in the writing above the table of allergies and their reactions it says 'this I s a general guide' but I think it needs to be made much more clear that all food allergies are potentially serious, and should therefore be treated as such.
I already have to deal with ignorance on this issue on a daily basis, and rely on educational sites such as this to help get the messages out there, not just for me and my daughter, but for the ever increasing number of families that have to deal with this worrying issue
With thanks, Jen1

Lorina

Re: Allergy info on this site

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:37 pm

Hi Jen,

Thank You so much for providing us with the information regarding allergies and bringing it to my attention. Since you mentioned this, I checked out this information for myself and you're right anaphylaxis can be caused by other allergies as well. I will certainly be updating the information in the allergy article on this site to include that anaphylaxis can be a reaction for any allergy not just peanuts.

With the articles in this site, I am constantly researching and updating the information as I learn more about each topic. Most of the articles written are based on my own experiences so I am constantly finding new information to support or verify my own experiences based on what I already know. The articles on this site are a constant work in progress so it's going to take awhile before all details are covered for each specific topic.

I appreciate your feedback and thanks for taking the time for bringing this information to my attention,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Jen1

Post by Jen1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:57 pm

Thank you so much for your reply, especially as you are on holidays :) I do appreciate that it's hard to know everything about everything, and allergies are definitely something not largely understood by many people - I, myself, was very ignorant before my daughters diagnosis, despite a background in nursing. 

For those left in any doubt as to the potential seriousness of allergic reactions to foods besides nuts, I ask that you google the following topics (tried to post links, but it won't let me). One near-tragic, the other absolutely tragic. Both occurred in daycare settings and highlight the importance of education and communication

Toddlers-near-death-highlights-education-need.htm

news.bbc Thomas Egan Neglect was factor in baby's death

Thanks again,
Jen 

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi Jen,

Hope you're well.

I know it's been a long time pending. I just wanted to let you know that we recently re-edited and updated all our articles from the Resources page on this site and transfered them to a new Wiki page. In saying this, I have updated the food allergy article you have mentioned above. I've added your suggestion on including anaphylactic shock to all food allegies and have also included more information which may be relevant to someone who may have a child with a food allergy.

Here is the link to the new updated article: Common food Allergies In Children

Thankyou once again for your suggestion and sharing your information with us,

:geek:,
L.A