Advice for starter for diploma of Early childhood and education

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Mare

Advice for starter for diploma of Early childhood and education

Post by Mare » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:37 pm

Hi everyone
Im new to this forum, and I have a few questions for people who finished diploma of Early childhood education... questions like what to expect from classes and assessment, placements..pretty much everything relevant :) I’ve enrolled with TAFE and Will be starting the course soon, and honestly I am terrified of starting school again, and going through all the assessments and all, I haven’t even started and I feel like I’m not gonna be able to finish. Any advice will be appreciated :)

bennettsplace

Re: Advice for starter for diploma of Early childhood and education

Post by bennettsplace » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:36 am

Hi Mare
Congratulations on taking the step to enrol in further education. I am currently studying my diploma online with Tafe. It can seem overwhelming at first but there is a team of people there to support you in your journey. The tafe team are experienced and very easy to talk to. I have found my teachers helpful and available for conversations and support. They have lots of strategies and ways to support you throughout your learning and the process is easy to follow. Also I have found my work colleagues, Directors and even my family very supportive and this forum very useful. Good Luck!

Mare

Post by Mare » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:46 pm

Thank you for replying to my question🙂 I really appreciate it... hearing it from someone who’s doing diploma it makes the whole idea of school less scary hahah
Thanks again and best of luck to you too @bennettsplace

Jennaleigh

Post by Jennaleigh » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:50 am

Hi there,
I am just about to enrol with tafe online education myself.
I am a bit worried too, as I don't know how I will go working and studying by correspondence.?

Is the format easy to understand and the way it's set out? How accessable are the teachers if I am stuck?

Are there any better institutions to study the diploma as apposed to tafe?

I appreciate all answers.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi!

TAFE is the most recognised institution to study with which is also recognised nationally so you've made a good choice with that.

In regards to assignments, the may be questions that are worded a little complicated then it really needs to be. However, you will be able to find responses in your reading material, at work or generally online.

I'm not sure how accessible are the teachers it depends on the individual teacher...

Doing the Diploma qualification will really help you get a head start in the industry...

Good Luck!

:geek:,
Lorina

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:50 pm

Jennaleigh wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:50 am
Hi there,
I am just about to enrol with tafe online education myself.
I am a bit worried too, as I don't know how I will go working and studying by correspondence.?

Is the format easy to understand and the way it's set out? How accessable are the teachers if I am stuck?

Are there any better institutions to study the diploma as apposed to tafe?

I appreciate all answers.

Definitely agree with Lorina.
TAFE is the best place to do early childhood education courses. If you want to be in the education sector and have an opportunity to enrol in a TAFE program or course, choose TAFE!

If you pick a private instution, I'd suggest selecting a larger one. Do thorough research and ensure that they have a good reputation in the industry.

I'm sure you will be fine, it's ok to be nervous before starting a course. The fact that your asking for advice means you care about being supported to do well and that's a sign of a good student :)
Any decent education provider will assist their students with coursework and help them graduate successfully.
And if you get stuck or need advice you can always ask on forums like these, there's always someone around to help ;)

Good luck!

HAPPYLEARNER

Post by HAPPYLEARNER » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:05 pm

Hi Guys

Im new Here too - Id really appreciate some advice.
Ive always had a passion for children esp. from ages birth to 5years and also education..
Im a NZ trained Registered Nurse - graduating in 2000
I'm currently doing a cert III in Early Childhood and Education via Open Colleges

My AIM in the next 2-3yrs is to open a small Day Care that hopefully can take about 10-15 kids.

Now, my question is - Is it best to do another degree in Education or go straight in and complete a Masters. Does anyone know how it works here in Australia

All suggestions will be greatly appreciate

Thank you

*Happy Learner*

Butterflyblue
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Butterflyblue » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:37 pm

HAPPYLEARNER wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:05 pm
Hi Guys

Im new Here too - Id really appreciate some advice.
Ive always had a passion for children esp. from ages birth to 5years and also education..
Im a NZ trained Registered Nurse - graduating in 2000
I'm currently doing a cert III in Early Childhood and Education via Open Colleges

My AIM in the next 2-3yrs is to open a small Day Care that hopefully can take about 10-15 kids.

Now, my question is - Is it best to do another degree in Education or go straight in and complete a Masters. Does anyone know how it works here in Australia

All suggestions will be greatly appreciate

Thank you

Hi Happy Learner!

To open a child care service you don't need a qualification but to be an early childhood educator within that service you do. Minimum of diploma is suggested and depending on what kind of child care you have (if your in charge) may be required by law.

In terms of whether to do another degree or masters, it's up to you.

I think while you study you should research, look at course content (subjects) and whether it appeals to you. Check placements, support offered etc.
Bachelor courses are quite different to masters.

Check the entry requirements of institutions, especially for masters. It differs depending on where you go for example some places accept a Bachelors in any discipline whereas other require early childhood education related subjects/degrees to have been completed, have industry experience etc
Bachelors in comparison are easier to get into.

Go to open days, see university careers counselors (as a prospective student), ask questions using online chat systems and see what former students are up to.

Couple of pointers:
- after you've finished studying (certificate) work for an agency to get that varied experience quicker and flexibility if you study again soon
- don't be put off in terms of lack of experience/ study history / what other people do or anything like that - talk directly with the universities or colleges about what they want to see from you

If you've done a Bachelors already
- check whether this discounts you from doing another (some places don't care, some people say they haven't done a degree in order to be accepted)
- a graduate certificate/diploma could be another option either on its own or as a bridge between your bachelor & certificate to masters. It may also allow you to be an early childhood teacher (ECT)
- move to a higher level of study if possible as per the Australian Qualifications Framework

You can do a certificate, diploma, bachelor's, graduate course, masters or higher and work in childcare in Australia.
Just make sure it's a recognised qualification with ACECQA.

With a bachelor degree I would personally try either a graduate certificate/ diploma or masters and be an ECT
Without I'd do a Bachelors and honours year and be an ECT. So it's really up to you, your preferences.

Let me know if that makes sense or if you have questions/comments :)

These are some links you might find helpful:

https://aussiechildcarenetwork.com.au/a ... e-business

https://www.acecqa.gov.au/qualifications/nqf-approved

kristieo30

Post by kristieo30 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:15 pm

My biggest piece of advice...Don't leave all the BIG assignments till last! Mix them up throughout the period. I am stuck with 3 HUGE collection assignments, collecting obs, photos, planning ect.
Good Luck and enjoy :thumbup:

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:14 am

kristieo30 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:15 pm
My biggest piece of advice...Don't leave all the BIG assignments till last! Mix them up throughout the period. I am stuck with 3 HUGE collection assignments, collecting obs, photos, planning ect.
Good Luck and enjoy :thumbup:

Great advice!

Lorina

Tetine

Post by Tetine » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:40 pm

Hi Lorina
can you please help me with this 2 questions.

Describe how you will address each of the following points during the development and implementation of your Inclusion Support Plan.

ii. Ensure curriculum decisions promote and support all children to fully participate, regardless of background, age, gender or ability.
iii. Identify the section of the service’s philosophy that relates to inclusive practices and discuss how you can implement this within your plan.

Rashmi123

Post by Rashmi123 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:17 pm

Hi everyone
I've finished my certificate 3 in child care and planning study higher from child care. my question is am I able to do Bachelors straight away without doing diploma ?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:49 pm

Rashmi123 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:17 pm
Hi everyone
I've finished my certificate 3 in child care and planning study higher from child care. my question is am I able to do Bachelors straight away without doing diploma ?

Yes I believe you can but when doing a Diploma and going through the Bachelors, units will be taken off the degree because you already would have completed similar in the Diploma. That's the only difference really.

Lorina