History of Child Care rebate

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

History of Child Care rebate

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Been searching for ages .... does anyone have an idea of when child care benefit/rebate began in Australia?

Lorina

Re: History of Child Care rebate

Post by Lorina » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:53 pm

hi fefe76,

i tried searching for it in google and it was quite a challenge to find this info...In the end I found this in wikipedia..

In Australia, Child benefit payments are currently called Family Tax Benefit. Family Tax Benefit is income tested and is linked to the Australian Income tax system. It can be claimed as fortnighly payments or as an annual lump sum. It may be payable for dependant children from birth up to the age of 24. Children 16 years or older may alternatively be eligible for Youth Allowance. Parents of dependant children under the age of 16 may also be eligible for Income Support Payments including Parenting Payment and Newstart Allowance for Primary Carers of Children.

On 1 July 2000 the Australian government introduced major changes to the tax system including the introduction of a broad-based Goods and Service Tax (a VAT), substantial income tax cuts, as well as major changes to assistance for families.

Check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_benefit

is this for a Diploma question?

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:02 pm

I found this info
There has been a long history of the Commonwealth Government providing funding to assist families to access early childhood education and child care. The Commonwealth Government first provided financial assistance for child care in 1972.
&
The Childcare Benefit (CCB) was introduced in July 2000 and replaced Childcare Assistance and the Childcare Cash Rebate.

Which means there was still some sort of assistance in place before CCB came into effect, thus my confusion, not sure what to mention since the question asks me to Identify & explain the barrier - why it exists, the historical context & contributing factors

Yes it is for the same Diploma question that I posted about before - CHCIC501A
Manage children’s services workplace practice to address regulations and quality assurance.
I am writing about Affordability of Child Care as a barrier to the COAG outcome 'quality early childhood development services support the workforce participation choices of families’

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:52 pm

Good Evening Fefe,

I did happen to come across some information that I wanted to share with you... I found it in the Parliamentary Library of Australia (I've attached it below). Now I don't know if it can help in anyway but I suggest you have a read through it... I also found another bit of info that you can read through...click here to read!

Anyways, I've noticed you have been very busy on here ;) !

It's great to have you on board,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:47 pm

Thanks L.A.
I have read those :)
I have SOOOO much info I think I have everything and anything that mentions affordability of care and CCB etc
I have 10 windows open on my laptop with various papers and information and I have about 8 tabs open on my internet browser with stats and more info on costs etc of childcare!
I just need to sift thru and figure out what 2 use and what 2 turf!