Exploring Art Techniques Eric Carle

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Lillypad88
Helper
Helper

Exploring Art Techniques Eric Carle

Post by Lillypad88 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:52 am

Exploring Art Techniques
The children in our Preschool room have been exploring the work of Eric Carle. In our group discussions we have explored the illustrations in his picture books and then used the Eric Carle website to learn the step-by-step techniques he uses to create his collages (http://artlessonsforkids.me/2009/05/18/ ... dergarten/). The website assisted us to teach children the specific techniques that Carle uses to produce his collages.
Question:
Explain why this strategy is appropriate for a group of preschoolers?
My answer was:
Eric Carle believes the passage from home to school is the second biggest trauma of childhood; the first is, of course, being born, he tries to counteract that fear. The children enjoy the bright colours The secret of Eric Carle’s books’ appeal lies in his intuitive understanding of and respect for children, who sense in him instinctively someone who shares their most cherished thoughts and emotions.
The themes of his stories are usually drawn from his extensive knowledge and love of nature—an interest shared by most small children. Besides being beautiful and entertaining, his books always offer the child the opportunity to learn something about the world around them. It is his concern for children, for their feelings and their inquisitiveness, for their creativity and their intellectual growth that, in addition to his beautiful artwork, makes the reading of his books such a stimulating and lasting experience. The children also like working with collages.

But was told it was not right, I needed to explain why this strategy is appropriate for a group of preschoolers. What are the children learning? What might attract them to anew activity like this? I thought I had answered this by writing bright colours?
Could you please help?
Thank you :)

Lorina

Re: Exploring Art Techniques Eric Carle

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:45 pm

I found this:

Carle credits his influences for his style as ranging from Picasso, Matisse, Leo Lionni, and Ezra Jack Keats. His pictures are actually collages and not paintings. On his website at http://www.eric-carle.com, the artist says of his process, “I begin with plain tissue paper and paint it with different colors, using acrylics. Sometimes I paint with a wide brush, sometimes with a narrow brush. Sometimes my strokes are straight, and sometimes they’re wavy. Sometimes I paint with my fingers. Or I paint on a piece of carpet, sponge, or burlap and then use that like a stamp on my tissue papers to create different textures.” That’s a fascinating way to go about making a collage, by preparing lots of different surfaces to work with!

This may also help:

Creating Collages
Art Influencing Learning

:geek:,
Lorina

Lillypad88
Helper
Helper

Re: Exploring Art Techniques Eric Carle

Post by Lillypad88 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:17 pm

Thank you so much Lorina :)