CHCFC504A physical environments

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
kessie

CHCFC504A physical environments

Post by kessie » Tue May 03, 2011 9:15 am

I have an assessment that asks to create an area where a child can be alone and relax, have a sense of seclusion but still be able o observe others. Then suggest how to restrict access to one child at a time.
So looking for ideas, does anyone have an area like this in their centre and how is it monitored? I would love any suggestions on how to make this work?

Lorina

Re: CHCFC504A physical environments

Post by Lorina » Wed May 04, 2011 9:15 pm

Hey Kessie,

Sometimes it's hard to create such a secluded spot for a child to be alone and relax in. Especially if you don't have the space to do it.... however there are ways to provide the children with a little seclusion throughout the day.

Here are some examples to get you thinking:

1) A tent with the door open/ raised up. Add a blanket on the floor with pillows and books.

2) A cubby house, opened window or door. Add a quiet activity such as puppets, felt stories for the child to engage in.

3) Net/material hung from the ceiling. Add fairy lights, with pillows, blankets underneath.

4) Cardboard boxes with material over the top of them. Cut "windows" in the side of the boxes so you can watch the child.

This should be able to give you an idea on some ways you can set up the physical environment.

Please share any more ideas you come up with.

Cheers :geek:
L.A

kessie

Post by kessie » Thu May 05, 2011 6:04 pm

I didn't come up with any different ideas, just used yours. I was for some reason thinking this had to be outside but of course it didn't. Anyway I put a huge flat cushion on the wall between piano and furniture and lined it with cushions (up the walls to make it cozy) and hung a sheer curtain over the top with a box of fiction books next to it, in a basket. It was really simple and successful the space before housed piles of posters so a much better use and looks great. I really appreciated your help!! Thank you so much!!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon May 09, 2011 8:13 pm

Hey Kessie,

The little secluded environment that you have created sounds awesome! What a great way to use up some useless space... you have turned that space into a child's sanctuary! Job well done! Sounds really nice and comfortable :!:

:geek:
L.A