CHCECEC022

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Lynda#08

CHCECEC022

Post by Lynda#08 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:05 pm

Can I get some assistance please. I am confused because I feel like the child is disengaged if the other children's attempts to interact are going unnoticed

You are Lead Educator in the room catering for children aged 2-3 years old. You are approached by one for the children’s parent who has concerns that when asked, her 2 year old child doesn’t do anything all day and doesn’t have any friends. The parent wants to know what her child is doing all day and why she doesn’t have any friends.
You take particular note of what activities the child is participating in and notice through your observations that a great deal of time is spent in solitude however is moving around the space quite confidently. You also note that the child is not distressed or disengaged and other children’s attempts to interact are going unnoticed.
How would interpret these observations and how would you communicate this to the parent?

Lorina

Re: CHCECEC022

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:22 am

You can tell the parent about the different activities that the child is involved throughout the day and that they enjoy participating independently. In regards to friends, you can mention that you noticed that the children are approaching the child in an attempt to play however the child prefers to play independently. In this case, you will assist the child to play and engage with other children through group games and activities.

You need to be sensitive when discussing the child with their Parents, and it should be done positively.

:geek:,
Lorina

Lynda#08

Post by Lynda#08 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:05 pm

Thank you I also mentioned that I would introduce a buddy for their child, who sits near them at meal times, hand washing and toileting together and making sure Educators are aware and implement the same strategies

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:19 pm

That's a good idea as well!

You can also include small group activities that require 2 children so you can pair the child up with another child to complete the activity...

:geek:,
Lorina