CHCECE001 - Develop Cultural Competence

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Lorina

Re: CHCECE001 - Develop Cultural Competence

Post by Lorina » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:28 pm

So I had a read through your assessment and basically the marker is saying that you are copying the information directly from where you read it from. You can't do that because the marker needs to know that you understand the question and what it is asking. it's not about finding the information and copying it, that's easy and you don't learn anything from it. Now, you need to go back over the question, the information you have provided and write in your own words your understanding of the question. You can use the information you have but do not copy it, rewrite it, what you understand from it...

:geek:,
Lorina

mwibusa

Post by mwibusa » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:44 pm

thanks, but can you please help me with question 5 and 6 becouse i don't understand please help me to get these two question right thanks

mwibusa

Post by mwibusa » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:50 am

Hello can someone help me to check my assessment thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:17 pm

Did you re do you assignment? If so, I'll be happy to look through it again!

Lorina

mwibusa

Post by mwibusa » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Hello I have send the work that i have done, can you please check it and send it to me in this week as soon as you can thanks so much
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mwibusa

Post by mwibusa » Mon May 02, 2016 6:31 pm

Hello, can someone help me throughout to get this assessment do because I am really stacked
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mwibusa

Post by mwibusa » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:58 pm

hey Rolina, can you place help me to check the following information for me to see if its right and if not, please guide me to get on track because I am stacked

•Identify any significant historical issues in relation to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people and the land that the service is on, including at regional
and state levels.
The significant historical issues that Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait island people and the land that they service in Toowoomba Darling Dawn where people who moved to Toowoomba they were still maintaining their culture into where they came from.
1. Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander customs and lifestyle before European colonisation
2. Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander experience of colonisation and invasion
3. Post-colonial legacy of social and economic disadvantage
4. Survival and maintenance of culture, kinship and connection with the land
5. Evolution and scope of the role of the Aboriginal health worker up to the contemporary context

•Reflect on and document the contemporary impacts of historical issues including those relating to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, such as the impact of colonisation, historical events and issues on Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.

When the Aboriginal and/Torres strait Island moved to their town and cities to join the Toowoomba Darling Dawn community they found a lot of issues and challenge that were fencing because of their culture background where similar to them and their history didn’t reflect to other culture. The Aboriginal and/Torres Strait Island were colonise to the European colonisation people to rule their land. Before they were colonise by the European people, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island were having different culture and traditional.
•Write a short report (approximately 500 words) summarising your findings, and explaining how this information can be taken into account when implementing the curriculum, including activities, experiences, customs and events within the service and promoting inclusive behaviours.
Culture competence means becoming aware of the cultural differences that exist, appreciating and having an understanding of those differences and accepting them. Learning about culture competence in this section is one of the most things that all people live in and it describes us of whom we are and where we come from. By doing the research about the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, this information was founded in the Toowoomba Darling Down local Library. The information was especially provided for the Aboriginal Torres and Strait Islander people to educate their children and to remember their culture backgrounds and never forget their history. Also to educate children from outside Australia and their families, by doing this was to let the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people to remember every single detail of where they come from, their culture and the lives people was fencing and live in. When the Aboriginal people was colonised with the European people, they found that they were a lot of similarities and the culture backgrounds were different to them and it didn’t reflect to their history. Toowoomba Darling Down was opened to keep the Aboriginal historical alive and for other people who are willing to learn, especially for the Aboriginal children to go and find out their culture and why they belong to the Darling Down community. The Toowoomba Darling Down Aboriginal Torres and Strait Islander children were connected to their community, culture, sport, religious and social groups to encourage them involve into the activities and the sport like touch, rugby etc. Same sport played by man and women, other played by man only. Today it takes a lot of work for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to uncover their traditional games and activities that were played by Aboriginal people before white colonisation of Australia. The Toowoomba Darling Down is for coursing to create many story to get their children back into their culture and traditional and to know which behaviour they can carry out when they are at school and other different places and make them never forget their customs and traditional.

sanchiafigredo

Post by sanchiafigredo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:03 pm

HI could someone please help me with just one question...
1. list 3 strategies that can be used to develop the cultural competency of children and families
thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:28 pm

sanchiafigredo wrote:HI could someone please help me with just one question...
1. list 3 strategies that can be used to develop the cultural competency of children and families
thanks
This may help:

Developing Cultural Competence

Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:30 pm

sanchiafigredo wrote:HI could someone please help me with just one question...
thanks
This may also help:

Become Culturally Competent

Lorina

Brooke Taylor_327

Post by Brooke Taylor_327 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:49 pm

mwibusa wrote:1. Why should educators critically examine their own values, beliefs and attitudes related to difference and diversity?

This means that as educators, we need to ‘think about our own values, beliefs and attitudes related to diversity and difference and acknowledge and address any bias that we may hold’ (Educators’ Guide p. 22). As well as critically examining our own assumptions, ‘cultural competence’ requires us to take a strong approach to countering racism and bias when we encounter it. This is a long way from a ‘live and let live’ attitude. It involves making a conscious decision to promote children’s cultural competence so that we can build a just and inclusive Australian society.

2. Why is respecting, understanding and including a child’s culture important?

For all human beings, culture is the basis of who we are as people.
Children absorb their culture as they learn and grow. For education and care services, understanding and valuing cultural diversity is key to countering racism in our services and in the wider community. Children need to be supported to explore the uniqueness of their culture and identity, while also understanding the cultural diversity that exists in their service and in the world around them. Educators and services need to be able to recognise, value and draw on children’s cultural backgrounds as well as helping children maintain their own languages while learning English. Above all, a service needs to support children to understand that being different does not make us better or worse than other people, but that all of our differences can be appreciated.
Cultural competence is especially important in relation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures. Education and care services can help to recognise the importance of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children’s
home cultures as crucial to their identity and developing a sense of self-worth.
We must also work to ensure we recognise the importance of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island cultures as part of the cultural heritage of all Australians.

3. What strategies can you use to enrich children’s understanding and respect for cultural identities within the service’s community?

Educators who are culturally competent respect multiple cultural ways of knowing, seeing and living, celebrate the benefits of diversity and have an ability to understand and honour differences. This is evident in everyday practice when educators demonstrate an ongoing commitment to developing their own cultural competence in a two way process with families and communities.
Educators view culture and the context of family as central to children’s sense of being and belonging, and to success in lifelong learning. Educators also seek to promote children’s cultural competence.
Cultural competence is much more than awareness of cultural differences. It is the ability to understand, communicate with, and effectively interact with people across cultures. Cultural competence encompasses:
• being aware of one’s own world view
• developing positive attitudes towards cultural differences
• gaining knowledge of different cultural practices and world views
• developing skills for communication and interaction across cultures.

8. Explain 4 ways that group activities could be used as an opportunity to acknowledge the diverse societies of Australia.

Sit in a circle and talk about having a pet. Show pictures of different breeds of puppies. Discuss: What do you notice about the puppies? Do all puppies look the same or different? Does the variety in the appearance of the puppies makes them more or less interesting? Conclude that even though each of the puppies looks different they are all lovable.
Look at each other, especially at each other's facial features and hair. Chart / graph colour of skin, hair and eyes; colour, length of hair and attributes such as curls etc.
Game: Simon (or Sunita) says. Provide directions to highlight individual and cultural diversity e.g. Everyone with brown eyes, stand up. Everyone who has a dog as a pet put your right hand on your head. Everyone whose favorite sport is soccer, stand on one foot. Everyone who speaks more than one language, jump up and down.
Game: Bingo. Students move around their group, or class, asking questions and recording the names of people who fit the description on a list: e.g. has played basketball; has celebrated a religious occasion; likes curry; has traveled on a plane; is allergic to peanuts; has more than three names; was not born in Australia; likes Vegemite; has more than two siblings; has lived in another country; likes cold weather; speaks more than one language; rides a bicycle. First to complete their list calls out Bingo. Regroup to talk about / make a graph showing similarities and differences between class members.
Students tell one new thing they learned about a classmate / name one way in which they and another student are alike (Something they didn't know before playing the game). Students might say, for example, "I didn't know that Jacob spoke Hebrew" or "I didn't know that Ruth played soccer."
Discuss: Have you or any of your friends/classmates traveled to another country / moved to Australia from another country? How did you feel when you arrived (e.g. lonely, excited)? What does 'multiculturalism' mean? How has migration made a positive impact on Australian society? What is race? How would you define it? Have you ever encountered racism? Explain what happened and how it was dealt with (by you, your friends, the school, family, community or by the law).

10) Explain the proposition that the Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) sets out in relation to cultural competence.

Can some one please check all these question form me please because i am not sure about this answer, please correct any mistake that you will find. Also question 10 i am so confuse on how to answer it and please provide answer for this question please thanks

You might want to be careful with your response for question one, I looked up the quote you used and found the whole article you have used to answer with

http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org. ... er_No7.pdf

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:00 pm

Please make sure you reference your answers if you are not using your own original thoughts or ideas...

Lorina

AJAY THACKER

Post by AJAY THACKER » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi Lorina,

I am just doing my placement in childcare and stuck with some questions as below.
a) Access at least one policy from the center that focuses on cultural competency.
(i) What is the name of policy
(ii) How does it address possible diversity issues within a service?
(iii) How does it consider the cultural background of the children, families, staff members and local community and how are their needs accommodated?

Can you please help me for these questions?
Really appreciate with your answer? I am rally stuck on this. Please help me.

Thanks
Ajay

kdavi105

Post by kdavi105 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:33 am

list the knowledge and skills that are needed to be able critically analyse culturally competent relationships , curriculum and activities

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon May 29, 2017 12:58 am

AJAY THACKER wrote:Hi Lorina,

I am just doing my placement in childcare and stuck with some questions as below.
a) Access at least one policy from the center that focuses on cultural competency.
(i) What is the name of policy
(ii) How does it address possible diversity issues within a service?
(iii) How does it consider the cultural background of the children, families, staff members and local community and how are their needs accommodated?

Can you please help me for these questions?
Really appreciate with your answer? I am rally stuck on this. Please help me.

Thanks
Ajay
You will need to get a copy of this policy from your work placement...

Lorina

moeenbashiry

Post by moeenbashiry » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:42 pm

hi would you please help me
Case study cont’d
Rebecca, 5 years, is starting primary school in a few months and this is her last semester at preschool. Ali is concerned about Rebecca’s lack of interest in participating in craft, drawing and all activities that require dexterity. Every time such an activity is arranged, Rebecca elects to sit on her own in the reading corner and not participate. Since Rebecca began preschool, Ali has not observed Rebecca using scissors or holding a pencil or crayon, and is concerned that she has not developed skills she will need to use in the primary school environment.
1.3 How can Ali and her colleagues respond appropriately to Rebecca’s needs and develop awareness. Ensure you address relevant communications and consultations concerning Rebecca’s specific needs and include her interests.
1.4 Suggest how Ali can help encourage Rebecca to participate in activities that require dexterity.

simran shripal

Post by simran shripal » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:36 pm

Hello Loria.
i am so much confused in this que as i didnt find the exact answers.

Question: List 5 events/Facts that you have found out about australian history that you did not and provide a brief explain about each of them.
Answer:1> 1770-Invasion and wars
2>protection and control policy 1857
3> Black war of tasmania 1803

b> write at least one paragraph to explain the overall impact of the above historic events, such as European settlement; loss of land; loss of culture; racism and discrimation; government policies on Aboriginal and Torres strait islander peoples.

Is these answers are correct? i am so confused in this two questions.
Thank you

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Yes you are on the right track for Q5 - here is some more information:

Aboriginal History Timeline

You also need to provide a brief description.

For b) this will help:

Lifestyle After British Colonisation

Hope this helps!

Lorina

simran shripal

scenerios of culture cluster

Post by simran shripal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi, i am stucking in this culture cluster scenarios.
question- A new family from greece has just enrolled in your service. The child markos will be starting in care next week. This is the first time markos will have attended a service. The family have brought markos to your kindergarten room to meet you and your lead educator.

question 1
At the initial orientation at the service:
a> what would you and the service do to make the markos and their family feel welcome?
b> List what information needs to be available for the markos' family regarding the operation of the service?
c> what information would you make available for all families about community services and resources in your area?
d> Provide three strategies you could implement to ensure information is currect and easily understood?
e> How will you assist markos's family to locate and contact community services and resources?
f> what information would you and the service gather from markos' family?

i am just confused what to do.

Thank you Loria for support.