CHCCN511A - indicators/Environmental Factors Risk Of Harm

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
k8ewarren

CHCCN511A - indicators/Environmental Factors Risk Of Harm

Post by k8ewarren » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:16 pm

hi all
just needing some help with some questions to a scenario!

Adam (3.2 years) has been attending your program three days per week for the last three months. Adam lives with his mother, Jade, and her partner Dan, the father of two month old Stella. Dan is currently unemployed but does work as a labourer when work is available.
Adam’s father left soon after his birth and Adam has had no contact with his father. Jade was 16 years old when she had Adam. Her family initially tried to support Jade and the baby but the relationship between Jade and her mother broke down and after around four months Jade move into temporary housing and has since moved house 11 times.
The family now live in a two-bedroom public housing unit on the second floor, where they have been for around three months. The unit is one of a series of dwellings situated near a busy road. There is no fenced play area for children and there is limited access to public transport. Jade, who has been unwell since the birth of Stella, spends most of her time at home trying to rest. Stella has not settled into a routine and is difficult to feed. Stella and Dan have already had ‘words’ with their neighbours who have complained about the baby constantly crying and Adam running around unsupervised.
Adam is an extremely active child, who tends to be loud and impulsive. He has poor language skills and his speech is difficult to understand. When Adam is not able to make himself understood he becomes physically aggressive. He has poor social skills and does not relate well to the other children, who often refer to Adam as being ‘naughty’. Adam is quite volatile and tends to yell and swear at the other children until he gets what he wants.
When he gets the opportunity Adam loves to spend time with the infants and toddlers. His behaviour is quite different from the behaviour he typically displays with his peers - he is very gentle and caring.
Adam is thin, has sallow skin and often has a runny nose. Adam regularly complains that he is hungry will always have seconds at meal times. When cheese and crackers are included for morning tea Adam will attempt to hoard food in his pockets.
Since returning to the centre on Monday Adam has not been his usual self – he is sullen and withdrawn and will not tolerate other children coming too near him. When you were settling Adams for his afternoon rest you noticed that he had three elongated bruises on his upper back. Two of bruises were red/purple in colour and the third was yellowish brown. When asked about the cause of the bruising Adam at first said he didn’t know and later said he ‘fell off the bed’.
When Dan arrives to collect Adam you ask about the bruises. Dan becomes very annoyed saying that Adam is always running around and crashing into things. Dan makes a quick exit, grabbing Adam by the arm the leaves without saying goodbye.
Disturbed by Adam and Dan’s account of the bruising you document your concerns and report them to your supervisor who advices you to continue to closely monitor Adam.
The next day Adam arrives in a very angry mood. He tells you he hates you and he’s going to kill everyone. Later, when Adam has calmed down you sit with him and read him stories. Adam snuggles into you and sucks his thumb. The final story is about a family with a mother, father, boy and baby girl.
‘This family is like your family Adam. There’s a boy like you, a baby sister like Stella and a mum and dad.’
‘No! Daddy no!’
‘You have Dan, he’s like a daddy.’
‘Dan naughty, him hits Adam. Dan naughty.’
‘How does that make you feel Adam?’
‘“I don’t like it. Dan hits me and shuts the door so I can’t get in. So I kick the door and then Dan lets me in and tells me to shut up.’

a. What are the key indicators that Adam is a child at risk of serious harm?
*bruising
*anxious behaviors
*disclosure
*frequently hungry
*poor hygiene
*swearing

b. List the environmental factors that may contribute to Adam’s ‘at risk’ status
*unsupervised
*unsafe home environment-second floor unit,
*situated near a busy road
* play area not fenced off.

c. Should Adam be notified as a child at risk? Give a reason for your answer
Yes I think he should be notified as a child at risk as there are good indication signs of him being at risk through the bruising, the different stories behind what had happened and then later on the disclosure etc:
d. Should there be any concerns or misgivings about notification?
e. You suggest to your supervisor that Adam be offered child care five days per week effectively immediately. How might this support Adam and his family?
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCCN511A - indicators/Environmental Factors Risk Of Harm

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:22 pm

Hey K8ewarren,

I've read through the scenario and I also read your answers to your question.... In my opinion you have answered the questions very well and took into consideration the details of the scenario.

With the last couple of questions about "notification", is the question referring to notifying DOCS about Adam so they can investigate further? Also you could suggest to your Director that a counsellor can come talk to Adam about what he is going through (or) you should refer your concerns to your director about Adams behavior, signs of physical abuse so you can begin notifying appropriate services. I'm not too sure if this is on the same line as your question...just trying to clear up the "notification" part...

Hope this helps!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

k8ewarren

Re: CHCCN511A - indicators/Environmental Factors Risk Of Harm

Post by k8ewarren » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi LA
thanks for the reply! yeah i wasnt to sure on those questions either i have email my tafe supervisor about it but no reply yet as such .