CHCCN511A - 3 websites with info on Saftey Issues for Children with Disabilities

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
An Educator
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

CHCCN511A - 3 websites with info on Saftey Issues for Children with Disabilities

Post by An Educator » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:48 pm

Hi , pls help me, I simply don't understand thus assignment-

During the cause of your career you are likely to work with children with a range of disabilities that will require you to adapt the environment to ensure the child's safety. It will not be possible to be familiar with the wide range of disabilities with which may present and it is therefore important that you are familiar w ith easy - to - access resources that you can use as quick and reliable and accurate source of information.

Access and describe the content of three websites ( in additional to the one listed below) that you could use to provide you with information that assist you to make informed decisions about safety issues for children wih disabilities.

Note:- Do not. Simply print pages from the website- provide your own description of websites content and comment on relevance in relation to safety issues.

Example of useful website: Inclusive Directions: http://www.directions.org.au/

>>Additional Needs Inclusion >> Additional needs info sheets:

Biting information
Relaxation activities
Environmental considerations
Inclusion- getting to know the child
Is the child included? Checklist
Sensory activities
Speech and language concerns

Working with parents

kessie

Re: CHCCN511A - 3 websites with info on Saftey Issues for Children with Disabilities

Post by kessie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:27 pm

I have just finished this question and am not sure if I was on the right track asI couldn't find any other websites that had information about setting up a room for children with addtional needs with regards to safety.
So what I did was just focus on one disability for each answer eg eplilespy and I listed the site and what information it provides regarding settling a child into care and the precautions you need to take from a carers perspective.
I am pretty this is what they after - just to make sure we are aware that if we have a child come into our care with a disability we will be able to find information on websites on keeping the child safe from harm.
Hope this helps

An Educator
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Re: CHCCN511A - 3 websites with info on Saftey Issues for Children with Disabilities

Post by An Educator » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:24 pm

Thank you for promptly helping out.
Pls correct me if I'm wrong- so what I need do is, simply find three websites that provide safety issues to deal with children with disabilities. OR focus on one disability and get three web sites that would help me to help the chikd??????

I'm just not understanding this assignment. Pls will you be able to explain it to me?
Thank you in advance.
An Educator

kessie

Post by kessie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:08 pm

I found three different disabilites and found a web site for each one. I don't think it has to be whole website devoted to the child care enviroment but just have some topics that could be relevant. For example: if a child with a hearing disability was comming into your centre where would you find information on keeping him safe in your room. The Hearing Australia web site may have tips on what the carer can do to provide a safe environment, so that would be one answer.
So name the web site and list the topics Hearing Australia for eg has information on. They may give resources on sign language so mention that sort of thinkg.
I am hoping I am right? It is time comsuming task as you have to look at quite a few websites,
Good luck!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:00 pm

Hey Educator & Kessie,

I’ve read both of your responses to your assignment but I understand the question a little bit differently. Now I could be totally wrong but anyways I’m just giving you some information based on what I understood from the question.

As I was reading your question for your assignment, you will need to provide resources and information in regards to children with disabilities.

I have been researching some websites for you BUT from what I can see most websites ask you to purchase books etc. at a price rather than give you the info you need.

I did however find a few websites that you can use. Now I wasn’t sure what the “Additional needs Info Sheets” are for. However I’m guessing that you need to find information on the websites about those specific additional needs information sheets. Is that correct??

Link 1: http://www.about.com

-special needs child biting
-special needs child relaxation activities
-special needs child sensory activities
-special needs speech and language concerns

Link 2: http://www.ncac.gov.au

-including children with additional needs in child care

Link 3: http://www.safekids.org/safety-basics/special-needs/

-environmental considerations (not in a childcare centre however you can probably adapt the information for a childcare centre).

So under each of the links I provided I added the search I did to find that specific information on the website. When you go into each of the links, go to the search box on the website and type in what I did and it will find the information you need. With link 3 (environmental considerations) it shows you videos of safety issues relating to children with disabilities. You can watch them and then just provide a summary about it.

I really couldn’t find anything with “is the child included – checklist” and “working with parents”. However you may be able to find in link 2… just check it out.

Kessie,
Hi…I’ve read what you did for this particular assignment and it also sounds correct so I’m not sure if the information I’m providing is relevant or not. Just check it out and see if it makes any more sense to you.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

An Educator
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by An Educator » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Hi LA & Kessie,
THANK YOU both for your kind help. I spoke to my support officer reg this assignment. What I have to do is, get 3 web sites and write a summary of about 8-10 lines , which includes safety with disability. I certainly will peek in to both your answers.
I really appreciate both of your kind and considerarate attitudes. The world needs more folks like you two.
Cheers,

kessie

Post by kessie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:00 am

Thanks so much also LA, Your answers would be what they are looking for I am sure, I just really strugggled to find those websites so I narrowed it down to each actual disability. Thanks for your help!!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:22 pm

No worries... more than happy to help :mrgreen: !

Cheers :geek:,
L.A