Barriers to Cultural Harmony- Develop Cultural Competence

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Shakthi

Barriers to Cultural Harmony- Develop Cultural Competence

Post by Shakthi » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:15 pm

Hi Lorina,

I am stuck in this question; Give three (3) examples of ‘barriers to cultural harmony’ and describe how you would overcome these barriers in the workplace if you encountered them.

My answer to this question is:

The three examples of ‘Barriers to cultural harmony’ are as follows

Cultural Barriers:

Clothing and dress: Some cultures follow a tradition of wearing a specific dress at all times, such as headscarves or turbans.

How to overcome it: I think the ideal way to address this scenario is to show respect and acknowledge their cultural needs and make them feel comfortable at their workplace. This will increase their self-esteem and they will feel accepted and motivated to work and contribute to the welfare of the organisation.

Linguistic/Language Barriers:

Employees who are less fluent in their primary language of communication at workplace may find it difficult in expressing their views and needs to their colleagues.

How to overcome it: I would think of trying to make things easy for the employee. I would try talk slowly and wait or allow him/her to think and respond. If the person is still struggling and finding it hard to comprehend things, I would may be involving an interpreter.

What else I can add? Am I on the right track? Also Is there any other barriers that I can add? I was thinking about Religious barrier but again it comes under cultural one. So a bit confused... Kindly guide me.

Thanks
Shakthi