Toddler Still Eating Puree Foods

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
pragna

Toddler Still Eating Puree Foods

Post by pragna » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:08 am

Hi,

I need suggestion about one of the child in my care. During lunch time we all sit together and everyone will finish their lunch but one child (2 years 8 months) doesn't and sits for very long time and falls asleep sometimes on the table while eating. If I feed her it is a bit better but I am trying to help the child to learn it What can i do in this situation.
This Child started coming to my care from 2 years age and From that time I am trying to teach the child self helping skills with food. Parents provide food in my care and the child is still on purees. I encouraged parents to provide some soft cooked meals to the parent. I tried her giving the soft cooked finger food like carrot and fruit like banana. The child feels really worried to chew and ends up gagging, vomiting and lots of crying. and it is becoming a traumatic experience for that child. Child does vomit through nose most of the times and gets terrified. It is happening for nearly 6 months and every time the child is having worst experience. I informed parents on this many times and at one stage with my coordinators suggestion I advised parent the child might need some professional help in this matter. But the parent wants to give more time and keep trying. what should i do in this situation? do i need to keep trying? Please suggest.Thank you

Lorina

Re: Toddler Still Eating Puree Foods

Post by Lorina » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:40 pm

Some children are very sensitive to new food textures and tastes and will only eat pureed or baby foods even though they have the skills necessary to safely eat table foods. You can encourage the child to try new foods and textures by having them help you prepare the new foods. Involving them in food preparation encourages them to touch, smell, and even taste the new foods.

You could try:

Offer the child a pureed food that they likes and typically eats. After a few bites, offer the same food mixed well with a small amount (1/2 spoon) of a crushed dry food (cracker, dry cereal, graham cracker, etc.). If they accepts this, continue to offer the mixed food providing extra time between bites and water if necessary.

After the child accepts several meals with the same amount of texture, you can gradually increase the amount of crushed dry food (1 spoon) added to the puree.

If the child does not easily accept the new texture, alternate 1-2 bites of puree- only with 1-2 bites of puree mixed with cracker. You will gradually be able to reduce the amount of puree-only.

For parents making the purees they can modify the recipe to increase the texture by adding less water to the puree or adding some mashed food to the puree. For example, if you are pureeing bananas, mash a small amount of the banana with a fork and add that to the pureed banana.

You will need to work together with the parents to support the child to transition to solid foods.

Ref: Introducing Textures

Hope this gives you some ideas,

:geek:,
Lorina