Guiding Childrens Behaviour

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Guiding Childrens Behaviour

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:41 pm

When guiding children's behaviour, it is important to model positive instructions not negative commands. Through positive communication, it helps to develop inner control through open, honest dialogue.

Below is a table of examples...I use positive instructions at my centre and so do the staff. It really makes a big difference.

Examples:

Dont run in the hall -----------> Walk slowly please
Dont spill your milk -----------> Use both hands please
Quit poking -----------> Hands in your lap
Shut up ------------> Please listen quietly
Stop interrupting me ----------> It is my turn to talk
Dont talk with your mouth full ---> Swallow first, then talk
Stop pushing in line ----------------> Walk carefully please
Stop yelling my name -------------> Say my name softly

There is also the 3R's technique:

Remind - remind the child of the correct behaviour.

Redirect - if s/he continues redirect his play.

Remove - if the above doesn't work, remove him/her from the children and place in book corner to read a book for a couple minutes and then continues play.

It's also important to use logical consequences, offer choices state clearly any consequences if behaviour doesn't change.

Use natural and logical consequences-
"Yes, I can see that the paint has spilled everywhere, Here is a sponge for wiping it up" (logical).
"If you go running around with that stick, your going to poke someones eye out" (natural).

Offer appropriate choices-
"You casn sit quietly at the circle, or you can do a quiet activity like a puzzle. You choose"
"Do you want to wait there for your turn, or do you want to find something else to do"

Limit the use of equipment-
"Since your having a hard time playting gently on the keyboard. I'm going to turn it off now"
"The climbing frame is off limits because the climbers are using it in an unsafe way"

Hope these few strategies can support you in managing a a child's difficult behaviour,

:geek:,
L.A