English Second Language: Child Behavioural Problems

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
chrissy201307
Participator
Participator

English Second Language: Child Behavioural Problems

Post by chrissy201307 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi, everyone
I just start working in a 2-3 year room. There is a child who often frustrated staff. I know toddler in this age don't share toys but normally they listen if their educators reason with/guide them. But this boy just snatches his peer's toy then runs away. Then whatever educators say, like: your friends is very upset bcs the toy is from their home, or you need to ask before getting others' toys......he never listen or even think what we are saying, just kicking, biting the educators,and yelling 'no'.

Another example is: one day after lunch he took away a toy from a girl, and I helped him return back. after that, when everyone went for bed, only he moved himself under a table besides his bed, holding his head in his arms. I tried to talk with him, or he wanted a book to read on his bed, but he just yelled "no" and cried.

I heard from staff that his behaviour is like his brother who is kinder room. Once a time when all children played in the yard his brother sat behind on his peer(A)'s car. A cried and told him get off the car, but the boy just hold A's shoulder and stayed on. Educators guided him to get another same car, he yelled 'no'. Staff stopped him to prevent A being hurt. Then he was very angry and went to kick and throw the car. And I often saw he ran behind his peers and gave a push...The brothers' family speak a second language. They do not speak much, but staff believe they understand what we say in the centre.

I find hard to communicate with the child and couldn't understand his behaviours. And feel uncomfortable to interact with him when he is in tantrum, for he tried to bite me before and i used to got hit by him. Hopefully someone could give some tips.

thanks
Last edited by Lorina on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: English Second Language: Child Behavioural Problems

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:10 am

It's challenging working with toddlers because their behaviour differs based on the individual child.

So, you mentioned that this child keeps taking other children's toys. Maybe you could stop children bringing their toys from home. It isn't fair for the other children to miss out on playing with a toy they want because it is not theirs or it doesn't belong to the centre. So, if a child brings a toy from home keep it safe and give it to their parents on pick up or in the morning their parents could take it with them.

Have you spoken to his parents about the behaviour?
Does it continue the same at home as well? You need to find out if this boy's behaviour is the same at home or different so you can work out what needs changing at the centre to help manage it.
You mentioned that English is his second language. Are you sure he is able to understand and how long has he been at the centre for? You could also put up posters or visual cues of children sharing, playing with each other etc. to help get the message across.

I am providing you with some information that may help as well:

Behaviour Management In Childcare
Anger Management In Children
Stages Of Behavior

Hopefully these give you a few suggestions to start off with,

:geek:,
L.A

chrissy201307
Participator
Participator

Post by chrissy201307 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Thanks very much L.A.

I dont think the child understand what we are saying, so it is hard to reason with him about his behaviour and why we stop him. And these days I noticed at story/finger play time he doesn't join in, which may because of language barrier.

This is my second week in the centre. I havent seen his parents yet, but heard from staff that the mum is always in a rush-no time talking. Yes, more communication is needed.

Lastly, the visual cues like photos, posters would help a lot. Very appreciated for your help!

Wenda

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:56 am

If this boy doesn't understand what you are saying to him then it's quite difficult for him to know what he is doing wrong. When seeing a toy that he wants he is just going for it because he wants it.... It's probably a good idea to ask his parents for some words in his language to help him understand. Since he has an older brother maybe he can help translate when needed to.

It's probably a good idea to also include some experiences in his own language to make him feel more comfortable within the setting. Books, music, etc. You could even ask his family to share some items as well. If not, go to the library, get music from the internet etc.

If mum is always in a rush and isn't able to communicate with you directly at the centre maybe you could start a communication book going from the centre to home in the child's bag where you and the parent can stay updated on the little boy. You could a paragraph each day about the child's day and any reminders and the parent can ask any questions etc back to you. It's just another alternative if the parent doesn't have time during drop off or pick up.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

chrissy201307
Participator
Participator

Post by chrissy201307 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:49 am

Thanks L.A. I m learning his language and can see he understands my words. I m going to search some nursery songs in his language and Put in group activity. Hope He would be interested. In addition, as a young educator I believe I need more patience/experience with his behaviours. Maybe I should give him more time and set appropriate stage expectations.

Love ur idea about the communication book! I will discuss with my leader before start. After all I m new, not knowing much of the family.

Apprieated : )

Wenda

gorgeous

Post by gorgeous » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi Wenda

I enjoyed reading your answered - its very informative. Would you mind sharing what nursery songs in his language and communication book did you come up? Appreciated:-)

Regards
Gorgeous

Rencia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rencia » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:31 pm

I had the same problem with some children in our setting and it was all only because they couldn't understand a word in English. As soon as we asked the parents to write us the most common sentences and words and we started to use them in a centre the child’s behaviour had changed a lot and finally we saw a really good, intelligent child who was following the instructions. The child also learnt English so fast and the communication was easier.

chrissy201307
Participator
Participator

Post by chrissy201307 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:05 pm

gorgeous wrote:Hi Wenda

I enjoyed reading your answered - its very informative. Would you mind sharing what nursery songs in his language and communication book did you come up? Appreciated:-)

Regards
Gorgeous

Hi Gorgeous,
That moment I worked for agency. I learnt from a Fijian student and wrote down pronunciation of twinkle little star.And searched some Fijian words need of daily routine. We singing with group of children, using simple words both English and Fijian during general conversation. The child showed interest and seemed picked up English word. Before long I had to finished working there and found my current job.

Regards,
Wenda