Certain Children That Just Won't Listen

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
RoseRed123

Certain Children That Just Won't Listen

Post by RoseRed123 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:17 pm

Has anyone else had the experience of children who just won't listen specifically to you as an educator.

Over the years I have worked in the industry there's always been at least one or two (sometimes 3 or 4) children who just don't listen to me. I use a firm voice. I explain why I need them to stop/start doing something. I follow through on consequences, after warning them once. If I say I'm going to talk to their parents then I do.

It just doesn't seem to faze some children.

We have children who at times don't really listen to any educators which I think is normal on occasion.

And we also have children who won't listen to another educator but WILL listen to me.

And then there are the ones who won't listen to me. I feel like I'm doing a bad job because of this; when I've done everything I can think of. And anything I'm advised to do by director or heard at training courses or read in articles.

Is it normal for some children to listen to one educator more then another?

I wonder if it's something to do with me being part-time; maybe they don't think I have as much authority or something?

Lorina

Re: Certain Children That Just Won't Listen

Post by Lorina » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:45 pm

I think some children know who to "play" to and who to "obey". It does get frustrating especially if you're doing everything you can to get them to listen! Working part time, could be an issue as you are there for less time, therefore the children don't take you very seriously. You just have to continue to use a method and stick to it... Even if you do the same thing over and over again just do it! For example: if you asked the child to pack away the toys and his not, give him a choice "pack away the toys on the mat or or push the chairs under the table " etc. When he does do it, give him lots of encouragement. "Thanks for packing up the toys, now we wont fall over when walking on the map, great helper" etc.

Can you give me some examples of what you tell the kids, which they dont listen to?

:geek:,
Lorina