Returning to Work

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Ek39

Returning to Work

Post by Ek39 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi all. I am looking at returning to work after 6 years as an Early Childhood teacher. Can anyone explain how the steps work for pay. I was on Step 9 as a 4 year trained teacher when I left my role to have a family.
Do I have to start again since I haven’t worked for a while or is previous experience accounted for?

Thanks

Lorina

Re: Returning to Work

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:42 pm

Hi,

Since you have a degree you will need to find a position as an ECT - if you are going for a room leader position, even with your degree you will not be paid as an ECT - so I would recommend finding an ECT position at a centre.

In regards to pay - a 4 year trained teacher starts at level 3 of the Award. Yes, the previous experience is accounted for:

Recognition of Previous Service

While employed as an ECT, you will be classified and paid according to a Level, based on your qualification and teaching experience. The following will count as recognition of service for early childhood/preschool teachers - which determines your Level for wage purposes:

- teaching experience in preschools, kindergartens, multi-purpose centres, early intervention services, long daycare centre and other similar services;
- teaching experience of children from four to eight years (or in the infant's department) of a school registered and/or accredited under the relevant authority in each state or territory;
- service as a lecturer in early childhood education or child development, as a child development officer or equivalent; and
- service as a diploma qualified childcare worker, at the rate of one year for every three years’ service up to a maximum of four years

For more information: ECT Award Wages

:geek:,
Lorina