Qualified being paid as Cert 3

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Susan83

Qualified being paid as Cert 3

Post by Susan83 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar position or knows if my situation is legal.

I work for a large company that has many centres within the state.

A few years ago my director asked if I could become qualified as it would help with the centres ratio.
In December last year I was successful and obtained my Diploma.

It was a requirement that I apply for a qualified position at my centre, unfortunately I was informed by my director that head office wanted to wait and see if the number of children dropped, and to check again at the end of the month.
This went on for over four months and during this time I was still counted as qualified for the company's ratio as I was classified as WTD on the roster.

I considered this extremely unfair and requested I be classified as a cert 3 as that was what I was being paid.
The director changed my status to cert 3 and since then other employees have started studying for their Diploma and are now counted as qualified for the ratio.

I accepted the fact that I wasn't going to be paid as a qualified employee anytime soon and chose to stay with the centre as my colleagues are like a second family.

However I struggle with the fact that the company still classifies me as WTD on the roster when qualified staff are away due to illness because they would not meet their ratio requirements if not.

My director has been supportive of my request for my qualification to be recognised by the company and has sent many emails to head office.

I was told by my director to fill in incident reports as a cert 3 and to list myself as such on all forms.
I do not administer medication and take on no qualified duties.

Is it legal for a company to not recognise your qualification when they asked you to obtain it?

I appreciate any suggestions or advice anyone may have.

Lorina

Re: Qualified being paid as Cert 3

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:46 pm

When working as a Diploma Qualified Educator, as an Assistant you would be at Level 3.4. So, this means that you are a Diploma Qualified Educator, in an assistant position. You cannot be paid less since you are qualified. Even though you may not be a room leader as such, in the Children's Services Award, it states that a Diploma Qualified cannot be paid less than a Level 3.4 as an Assistant Educator.

You should be paid as a Qualified Educator since you are qualified... it is illegal for them to pay you any less than it states in the award.

Instead of your Director sending email to head office, I would suggest you contact them directly...

By the way what is WTD?

:geek:,
Lorina

Susan83

Post by Susan83 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:34 pm

Thank you Lorina.
WTD is someone who is currently studying for their Diploma and has shown evidence of their enrolment (Working Towards Diploma)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:24 pm

Oh ok.... lol... seems pretty obvious now! LOL

You need to get this issue sorted... You are qualified and you should be recognised as such...

:geek:,
Lorina