Pay Rates

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
ccSA

Pay Rates

Post by ccSA » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Helloo,

I've been working at my current centre for 2 years now. I started off as an unqualified educator (remaining so for 6 months) and then got a Diploma. I am an assistant educator but have been doing the work of a lead educator for two weeks since she was away. I get paid 23.97. Is this the correct pay rate for a diploma-qualified assistant educator with two years experience?

If I'm performing the Lead Educator's duties for two weeks, should my pay rate level increase at all for the two weeks?

Lorina

Re: Pay Rates

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:46 pm

As a Diploma qualified assistant you are on Level 3.4 and yes your pay rate is $23.97/per hour.

In regards to being paid higher wages, it states the following in the Children's Services Award:

Higher Duties

There may be times, when you may be asked to perform higher duties. This basically means performing duties that are not within your job description or those stated within the level you fall under in the classification structure, the duties of an employee will be determined by reference to this award and the employee’s job description.

If you’re engaged in higher duties for two or more consecutive hours you will be paid the time you spent at a higher rate, provided that:

- the greater part of the time so worked is spent in performing duties carrying the higher rate;

- if you’re engaged as a Children’s Services Employee Level 5 (Assistant Director) who is required to undertake the duties of a Director by reason of the Director’s absence will not be entitled to payment under this clause unless the Director’s absence exceeds two complete consecutive working days;

- if you’re engaged as a Children’s Services Employee Level 3 who is required to undertake duties of the Director by reason of the Director’s non-attendance outside of core hours will not be entitled to payment under this clause;

- where you are appointed to act as the Director of a Centre or a Supervising Officer pursuant to the relevant childcare regulations, they will be paid for the entire period at the rate applicable for a Director or Supervising Officer; or

- if you are required to undertake the duties of another employee by reason of the latter employee’s absence for the purpose of attending (with pay) an approved training course (including in-service training) will not be entitled to payment under this clause.

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

pfoley

Post by pfoley » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:29 pm

Hello,
Could someone please advise me on my correct CASUAL rate.

I'm currently studying my ECT. I began in October, 2017.
I hold my Diploma since June 2015.
I have worked in the industry since April 2013.

Currently I'm being paid $29.96p/h, I just want to be sure it is correct.

Thank you,
Tricia

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:34 pm

What is your position when working as a casual? As a ECT, room leader or an assistant? Each had different hourly rates.... I could let you know each if that’s easier..

Lorina

pfoley

Post by pfoley » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:42 pm

I'm just an assistant!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue May 01, 2018 1:31 pm

You are being paid correctly at as Level 3.4 - which is a Diploma, qualified assistant educator.

You will not be paid as an ECT unless you are an ECT within the service.

So, at the moment you are being paid correctly since you hold a Diploma qualification, and working as an assistant.

Reference:Childcare Wages In Australia

pfoley

Post by pfoley » Tue May 01, 2018 8:27 pm

OK, thanks for that.

That table is quite good but a little confusing but I understand now from a Diploma point of view.

For an ECT who is working as an ECT, what level do they start off on and does it matter how many years experience they have? Is it level 4.1 but if you have some years experience does that go up or does it only count for years experience as an ECT?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun May 06, 2018 1:39 am

pfoley wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:27 pm
OK, thanks for that.

That table is quite good but a little confusing but I understand now from a Diploma point of view.

For an ECT who is working as an ECT, what level do they start off on and does it matter how many years experience they have? Is it level 4.1 but if you have some years experience does that go up or does it only count for years experience as an ECT?
For an ECT, you are on a different award - Educational Service Teachers Award, 2010.

There are four levels which determine the base rate of pay in which you will receive while working as an ECT in a service, which also includes recognition of prior service.

The following will explain the above and has a wage table you can refer to:

ECT Award Wages In Australia

Lorina